UI bugs for admin user only

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by shrakner, Dec 27, 2013.

1. shrakner, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2013

shrakner macrumors member

I've recently been experiencing a number of odd UI bugs on my work rMBP with Mavericks installed. On menu items that have submenus (quick test for me is the Finder > Services menu item), a right-pointing triangle should be shown, but it's not there for me. This is quite noticeable in Adobe apps with a lot of submenus that suddenly have no indicators. Checkmarks that indicate an enabled menu item also don't render. Finally, when I open the Users & Groups control panel, the three buttons under the user list are all blank.

This problem is limited to my main admin user- when I log in as a guest, or as another admin user, everything shows up as it should.

I've already tried cleaning the various user and system caches with OnyX and verified and repaired permissions with Disk Utility, to no avail. Is there something else I should do to reset or force the rebuild of some user-specific library file, a preferences or cache file of some sort that might fix this? Otherwise, I'll just create a new user and move over what I need, but that will be tedious and I'd rather avoid it. Thanks!

2. tigerintank macrumors regular

Users & Groups control panel woks fine for me on admin - late 2013 rMBP 13"

3. shrakner thread starter macrumors member

Yes it works fine with other user accounts, it's only on my main user account that the problem exists. I've clarified that on my original post.

4. tigerintank macrumors regular

i only have the one user - the original admin that I use regularly. The buttons display fine.

Just checked Finder menu and services option has the right pointing triangle next to it - think thats what you meant was missing your end.

5. shrakner thread starter macrumors member

Yep, the problem seems to be restricted to that one user on the one machine- two other Mavericks installs have no problems, and other users on that machine have no problem. It's really quite strange, I haven't seen something like this in OS X before that wasn't fixed by a restart (except in the betas of course :p).

6. shrakner thread starter macrumors member

I ended up renaming the faulty user directory, deleting and re-creating the user, and then copying back files. UI bugs haven't come back.

I just wish I knew what the hell happened to screw up that user account, or if there was some less disruptive way to fix the problem. :confused:

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Once in a blue moon something just gets messed up. I've been using OSX since apple released the version 1.0 beta and I can count on one hand the number of times I had to recreate my account (I think once maybe twice).

That's no consolation for you, but at least you've resolved the problem :)