UI buttons in Yosemite

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by BillyMatt87, Aug 26, 2014.

1. BillyMatt87 macrumors 6502a

When iOS 7 was released, one of the biggest complaints of the new design was the replacement of buttons with plain text. It seemed like Jony Ive's minimalism was going too far and I was worried that this new design philosophy would carry over to the new OS X update.

Thankfully, it did not and I'm personally happy to see clear, identifiable buttons remaining in at least one of Apple's user interfaces.

Is this the result of Apple listening to feedback? Will we see Yosemite-esque buttons in future iOS updates?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

How could anyone on here, or outside of Apple for that matter, possibly have an answer to either of your questions?

3. joedec macrumors 6502

joedec

We can speculate, for the most part iOS 6 and Mountain Lion had the same icons.

It would be nice if they matched, but who knows?

4. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I would say no. Reason: OS X yosemite features traditional buttons because it has room for it. iOS did not. We would see this carry over to the iPad but they have this thing called consistency in the design between iOS on iPhone and iPad...

5. Planey28 macrumors 6502

The way you interact with the device is different, iOS is used on touch screens which are directly manipulated, OS X uses a mouse pointer. No way ios is getting yosemite's buttons.

Also I've never seen anybody complain about the text based buttons in ios except (surprise surprise) on here.

6. BillyMatt87 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Then why did :apple: enable button borders in the accessibility menu?

While that option makes the buttons more defined, they're aren't aesthetically pleasing.

While OS X Yosemite takes design cues from iOS 7/8, it looks a lot more refined and better designed so hopefully we will see more visual consistency between the two platforms.

7. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I hope the only reason Apple touched iOS 8 design very slightly (Control center, Notification center, Maps (and on lock screen), safari on iPad) was because the developer features that they needed to add just took way too much time.

8. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I'd hope so. iOS is too sterile compared to Yosemite. My wife still don't want to use it, because of its look. I never have pleasure using it (compared to iOS 6 or Mavericks) so I'm looking forward to iOS that's more lively.

9. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

… esque yes and where next I shudder to imagine

I can't guess about iOS, here but I had an extremely negative, uncharacteristically scathing reaction to finding unidentifiable illogically-placed buttons, on Mavericks, in a beta of a third party app that is reportedly ultra-popular on something other than Mavericks.

To me that shockingly bad design was unmistakably inspired by Yosemite.

I don't know enough about the history of iOS to tell whether the unintended badness was also inspired by iOS 7, but there's that possibility.