UI framerates - 13" rMBP - 2,4 vs 2,8 ghz

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phero, Oct 26, 2013.

1. phero macrumors member

So I'm coming from a 2013 i5 MBA (played with it for about a week). I used Mission Control and swiping gestures a lot, it's the reason I'm in love with OSX. Animation framerates were always close to 60 on that machine.

I've played with a few rMPB's in local stores (2012 models running ML) and I definitely noticed a little lower framerates in all the animations and scrolling.

According to Anandtech this seems to be a CPU issue: http://www.anandtech.com/show/6409/13inch-retina-macbook-pro-review/5

So I'm wondering if opting for the 2,8 ghz i7 will make a noticable difference in UI framerates. Will it be on par with the 1,3 ghz i5 MBA performance? Or do I have to wait for broadwell, or even skywell, before we have similair OSX animation framerates on retina displays? Also, I have not factored Mavericks into this, but as fair as I've been reading, it only GPU accelerates safari scrolling, not Mission Control or other animations.

Wondering about your thoughts on this. I'd really like to buy a rMBP right now, but I feel OSX on retina simply needs better hardware than we have now.

2. tigerintank macrumors regular

thanks for the (re)link. this from Anand summarises it well

What we'll need however, without any significant changes to OS X is an outright doubling of single threaded CPU performance. In the worst case scenario that could mean that we won't see UI frame rate fixed for years. I doubt it'll be that long, if I had to guess I would say that Haswell will bring a good improvement and around the Broadwell (2014) timeframe is probably we'll see things really get better. I don't have intimate knowledge of Apple's OS X roadmap and I also don't know the instruction mix that's causing this behavior so I can't really say anything for certain, I'm just speculating.

Am looking forward to his Haswell update