UI Freezes (Mavericks)

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Silvereel, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Silvereel macrumors 6502

Anyone else been encountering UI freezes in Mavericks? I had been having something similar in ML, but only while using Parallels. I always figured it was something to do with that software. Now, though, it's been hitting me outside of it, when Parallels isn't even running. Last night I tried dragging an image out of Safari and into an instant messaging client, and got a complete, unrecoverable UI crash. I had to reset my iMac with the power button.

The mouse cursor was still active - I could move it around, but not click anything. Music continued to play, and after the reset there was no indication in my Console that anything went wrong.

Having it happen with Parallels was bad enough, but now that it's happening on OS X alone? It's a serious problem, limiting my max uptime on the device to around a week. I know it's not supposed to be this way, and I would really appreciate some help. Has anyone else seen this?

2. EssentialParado macrumors 65816

Yep. I get it regularly when swiping between spaces or activating Mission Control. I've filed a bug report with Apple and followed it up with a spindump at their request. Hopefully they're now working on a fix.

3. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

Try the following

1. Reset SMC
    2. Do multipe resets of PRAM...like 2 or 3 in a row.
    3. Then start up your mac.

4. TheBacklash macrumors regular

TheBacklash

Happened to me earlier today with Finder, reminded me of windows..

I reset PRAM (once though) and so far *crossing fingers* no problems.

5. elgrecomac, Nov 2, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2013

elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

My guess is that it WILL happen again but you have a work around until Apple gets around to fixing the OS.

To editorialize a bit, Apple has it developers and others test new OS releases but this group is relatively small ...and then the installed base (that be us!) does much broader testing in multiple HW/SW configurations...which we are doing now. Now Microsoft, on the other hand, releases a new OS to developers and anyone else who wants to be a unofficial tester, but Microsoft gets a ton of input with the vastly more diverse HW and SW environment that is windows. The end result is about the same: eventually a stable OS with a diverse (read this to mean - older hardware) environment. My guess Apple will have the kinks out of 10.9 at the dot 2 or 3 release...just like 10.8...and the same goes for Windows 8.

The development of an OS that is supposed to span multiple generations of HW is difficult to the point were Apple and Microsoft both stop supporting them. One big difference between these companies, and there are many, is that Microsoft is in business to sell high volumes of expensive software where Apple is in business to sell very high margin hardware. So Microsoft wants to be all things to Wintel PC whereas Apple would love you to buy new hardware every few years. I'm not picking sides here, just making an observation.

6. mingqing007 macrumors newbie

mingqing007

Can you tell me why when we reset PRAM, we should always do 2 or 3 resets in a row? Any different from reset just once?

7. DRDR macrumors member

Check if you have Logitech drivers installed. Even the newest version causes regular freezes on my system. To remove the drivers go to /Library/Extensions and delete the two Logitech HID/Unified kexts.

8. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

I found that on an Apple.com/Support forum and it mostly pertains to older Macs because the resetting of PRAM was, for the sake of a better description, not totally completed, hence having to do it again.

9. mingqing007 macrumors newbie

mingqing007

Oh, I see, thanks a lot~

10. Silvereel thread starter macrumors 6502

Had this happen again today. I'm going to try the things everyone has mentioned, and I'll let you know if I get it again. It seems to happen a lot when I'm either running Parallels, or when dragging an image between programs. As before, no crash report was given.

11. Areos macrumors newbie

Can someone check log to find if is a graphics related issue? I had some nvda OpenGL channel timeout when this freeze happens ima in a 2012 MacBook Pro non retina.

Good luck

12. TheBacklash macrumors regular

TheBacklash

Happened to me again this morning..

woke up iMac.
    *Every* app that was open overnight.. worked.
    Any new app I wanted to open... hung. (Mail for example)

Force quit them, open again.. still hangs.

Closed an open app, reopened.. hung. (Safari this time)

Restart iMac, everything closes, gets to the gray screen.. stays there for 15 minutes. (Didn't restart, had to use the power button)

Every other "little" problem i have had since I installed 10.9 I can deal with, minor annoyances that I know will be fixed soon.
    *This* is beyond annoying. Really hope there is a fix soon.

13. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

Similar thing here on 2010 Mac Pro.....but so far the system has come back after 5-10 seconds.

For me, it's almost always when closing an app....doesn't seem to be app specific. For example it just happened right now....I closed BBEdit and while I could move the cursor and the system was up....I couldn't click on anything. Hovering over dock items didn't have them magnify. Using Cmd+Tab didn't show the task switcher. After about 10 seconds it was fixed.

This is similar to my old 2006 Mac Pro with Nvidia graphics issues, however I in this case I don't see any console messages at all....nothing showing an issue.

For me at least the system always comes back.

I think I'll submit a bug report.

-Kevin