UI improvements in GM build

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by pad07, Sep 1, 2012.

1. pad07, Sep 1, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2012

pad07 macrumors regular

I'm hoping we'll see some UI improvements that have been saved for the GM build of iOS 6. Anyone else?

While it's obviously not hugely important, slight but noticeable visual tweaks would be appreciated by many users, even if they are evolutionary.

I don't think any of the following tweaks would be hard, nor do I think they would need any developer testing. Some ideas:

- Proper implementation of the tinted status bar. The tinted status bar parameters were altered in Beta 4 which broke it for apps that had featured it. Examples for me are Facebook Messenger and Things, both of which had the tinted bar up to Beta 3. Hopefully this behaviour is more standard in the GM build, because it's very inconsistent at the moment.

- Tweaked default titlebar color. I think the default blue titlebar color should be just a shade more blue. Its kind of washed out appearance at the moment isn't as nice as it could be.

ios6.png

- Mountain Lion-style improvements. While we've seen stuff go "back to the Mac" I really hope we'll see a few things go "back to iOS" namely the unified search in Safari and the new frosted glass dock.

- Refined stock icons. Completely wishful thinking, but it would be amazing to see new or at least refined stock icons. At the very least, small tweaks like this:

ios.jpg

- More new wallpapers. The iOS 6 wallpapers so far are a little bit standard, there aren't that many, and I don't like the default so much. I hope we see a new default wallpaper in the GM build as well as some additions.

- Death of the pinstripes in stock apps. Like the phasing out of pinstripes in OS X years back, the pinstripes on iPhone are starting to look a tad dated. Removing them entirely would be a nice move, perhaps in favour of a very light linen or speckled background a la OS X Lion onwards. Even just keeping the color but having it block would be preferable.

- Unification of toolbar styles in stock apps. The new App Store and Music toolbars are lovely, but the Phone and other apps still have the old style. Would updating them really be that hard? :confused:

toolbars.png

- Refined on-screen keyboard appearance. The keyboard is showing its age, with rather harsh shadows. Tweaking/flattening the on-screen keyboard's appearance would be welcomed. If the dialler can be refined why not the keyboard? It's been the same for 5 years while so much else has been refined.

Such changes as these don't require much, if any, developer testing, and so it's possible/hopeful Apple are reserving some UI improvements for the GM. With Mountain Lion this was the case, with the frosted dock not appearing until the GM.

What's stopping Apple from small cosmetic tweaks and improvements? I can't help but think Apple have been too conservative with the UI in iOS 6. I'm not asking for a complete overhaul, more tweaks a la Tiger to Leopard or even Snow Leopard to Lion.

So much has changed in iOS's UI yet certain elements like the keyboard are 5 years old now and beginning to show their age. It seems a shame Apple are preparing to release killer new hardware with such a modest iOS update from a UI perspective.

Come on Apple, let's see some refinement in the UI in the GM build!

If anyone has any thoughts would love to hear them.

2. Ashwee macrumors member

Ashwee

Would love to see the Mountain Lion dock style in the GM

3. Tankmaze macrumors 68000

Tankmaze

I agree on the pinstripes.
    but I've never known (CMIIW) apple would tweak the UI from latest beta -> GM, seeing with past OS release. most of them is performance & fixing bug.

4. AQUADock macrumors 65816

AQUADock

I agree on all things you said, I can't see why apple can't do these small changes that will make the overall experience better.

5. *Calypso* macrumors regular

I think Apple is being conservative with UI changes because they are still proud of doing most things right from the beginning. In retrospective, Steve Jobs saying that the original iPhone was "five years ahead" could also mean that Apple never felt the urge to make significant changes in the device and UI design. I mean, they never changed the homebutton/four button/mute switch concept, the front of the iPhone looks essentially the same from the beginning and iOS only got minor UI tweaks.

Take the keyboard for example. Of course it looks a bit boring by now, but it doesn't look old nor does it lack usability. I used a number of Android devices, some with significantly bigger screens and still the iOS keyboard is the most intuitive to use and gives me the most precision when typing. Sure, some optical tweaks would be nice, but we shouldn't expect Apple to revolutionize something that was once called "revolutionary".

6. zbarvian macrumors 68010

The dock needs to be updated, and I agree with your suggestions. There needs to be more consistency in the OS, something that really shouldn't be hard to accomplish.

7. batting1000 macrumors 604

Nice ideas OP, but Apple would have already done this if they were going to in the betas. The wouldn't wait till the GM to do it

8. irDigital0l Guest

I thought these were actually happening...

seriously Apple, some UI are getting old (not like widgets or stuff), but some designs haven't changed for 5 years. These reflect Apple 5 years ago, not now.

Want
    -more silver, less blue.
    -most default icons to be updated
    -no more pinstripe background
    -live icons for weather and clock
    -mountlion like notification center
    -dock should be like mountain lion

9. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

OP has some excellent suggestions, I know I've been thinking along similar lines for a few years now.
    We're probably not going to get as much of a UI refresh as we may like, but hopefully Apple does some little things to bring iOS in line with ML: unified Safari search/URL bar and a new Dock would be nice.

I know a lot of this "bling" can be changed and I've jailbroken my iOS devices off and on over the years, but at the moment, I just want Apple to tweak a few things so that I don't have to JB. Living in the walled garden is just too convenient.:cool:

10. Purant macrumors 6502

The operative word here is "most". They got most things right, not all. Their reluctance to tweak their UI is well... weird.

Or admit they messed up. Does anyone believe that Gamecenter looks good?

11. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

A visual example of what I meant earlier about the default blue and also the toolbar on some apps like Phone.

Notice the bottom bar on the right adopts the newer iOS 6 style and the default OS chrome a more vivid blue.

(And yes, that is a 4 inch iPhone ;))

dialler.png
    (Click for larger)

Subtle "polish" changes like this would be small, but very noticeable.

12. OMGbrandon macrumors 6502

OMGbrandon

13. gdkid2010 macrumors regular

Honestly, it needs to be more eye-popping and slick like what Android is <i>at times</i>

14. pad07 thread starter macrumors regular

It doesn't even need anything drastic. Just some polish and updated elements that MATCH.

15. Bilalo macrumors 6502

We need just one UI change not alot.
    I mean that black on white or white on black is so stupid because even apps are affected...

16. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Honestly, it doesn't.

17. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

The blue you want doesn't fit well with the color palette used throughout iOS.

I'd take the old one please.

18. ThisIsNotMe macrumors 68000

They should unify the color scheme with OSX.

19. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

They're getting there. Look at Gamecenter, NC, MC. Those are just the apps, but eventually Apple will roll out more GUI changes system wide. But that grey linen needs to vanish fast, it's depressing in OSX and iOS.

20. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

These are all awesome suggestions, hopefully Apple uses some of these.

21. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Agreed, I like it more muted. They won't go more blue because then it would look a lot like the AirPlay mirroring status bar color.

Also, I don't like the pinstripes but it's a lot more muted in iOS 6 and quite hard to see. Doesn't bug me anymore.