UI solutions Intel<>PowerPC

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Mar 20, 2015.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

So at home I've got pretty much what I want using Mystique and a Black OS X theme. Overall I'm happy, except for the fact that you cannot seem to change the colors of Finder window frames and their backgrounds. It's all still gray and white.

On the Intel Mac at work I managed to kill two of my annoyances yesterday. If you were not aware, since at least Lion Apple has made the minimum window wdth for Finder Windows around 450px. You cannot size a window down below that. This was a shock for me coming from Leopard (G5) to Mountain Lion (MacPro) as I've always had windows about 200px or less on my desktop at work. I leave certain windows open all the time because we access them from the server all the time.

Anyway, turns out that Applescript can forcefully override this limitation! I wrote a script that makes the active Finder window 200px wide and I put a trigger into Quicksilver so all I have to do is use a keyboard shortcut on any active Finder window and that window becomes 200px wide.

This in conjunction with Finder Window Manager, which is a Universal app I use, gets everything sorted correctly. If you didn't know, Finder Window Manager allows you to save your current open Finder windows as sets. You can open a set and the app will restore your closed Windows in EXACTLY the same size and position you saved.

Once I got my windows all sized back to 200px wide I updated my set in the app and now I have all my windows popup where I want them at exactly the right size and position because Finder Window Manager can force them to 200px!

So, one problem solved. Not an issue on Leopard, but I'm not done…

Where I have been allowed with the tools and apps available to the current OS9 or OS X version I was using at the time I have always opted for a dark UI with white or light colored text. Yosemite has 'Dark Mode' but you still get blinding white windows. Flavours does not work on 10.10 and no one seems to be theming Yosemite.

So, I tried XtraFinder. It does two things for me. White text on black background and LABELS!!!!!! Labels, which Mavericks killed.

Here's the downside. My coworker's G5 Mac running Leopard seems unable to see the folders I label and I am unable to see the labels that were originally made when I was using that G5 Mac. Interestingly enough, I DO seem to be able to see labels that are made via Applescript from our 10.4 Tiger G4! Bizarre!

So, here are my questions.

1. Can I replicate the dark background and light text in Finder Windows on Leopard? XtraFinder is Intel only. I have asked this question before in AquaDock's thread, but I ask again here. I am aware that you can change the background of a Finder window but that's only in ICON view, not List view which is what I use.

2. Is there a way to make the G5 and my MacPro see the labels we both make? I really DETEST this Tag crap Apple came up with.

Attached Files:

2. eyoungren, Mar 20, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2015

eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Friggin! Bizarre!

A label color applied in the OS X Tiger Mac is seen correctly between the Tiger G4 and the Mac Pro. I can label it on either Mac and it's seen correctly between both of them.

Very, very strange!

I suspect this may be because the Tiger G4 is using DAVE while the G5 is not. That would further imply that DAVE and the MP are using the same implementation of SAMBA while the G5 is not. Hmmm…perhaps because the G5 is using SMB1 while the G4 and the MP are using SMB2. Very interesting!

EDIT: Yep, looks like this is the case. Mavericks got SMB2, although it took Yosemite to fix it. Since Thursby cowrote the CIFS/SMB standard it stands to reason DAVE 6.2.2 (which is what the Tiger G4 is using) is using SMB2.

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Hmmm…found LiteIcon for changing icons on the Intel. Exported my Black Gloss theme from CandyBar (still runs on 10.10, just won't change icons) and then dragged icons in by hand in Lite Icon.

Nasty blue folders are gone! :D