UI/UX principles

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by zoran, Jan 21, 2017.

1. zoran macrumors 68030

2. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Which ones? I mean, Apple has a different set of principles to Windows and Android. One thing Apple has as a principle for instance, is that actionable buttons shouldn't just be named "OK" and "No", but be named according to what they do, so "Save", "Cancel", "Reopen", Change".
    But there are quite a lot of UI principles. Mostly it's about creating a cohesive experience, so analyse how apps on the platform you're thinking of, especially first party ones, are designed and how they behave, and you'll get to know the principles intuitively without having to read up on em. You know, like, what would a user expect to happen if he/she 3D-touches a button? What does a user expect from hamburger menus? What do users expect from a back button on iOS (top right corner) vs. Android (I've seen a few different things on a few different phones so, you tell me. I don't know)?

3. 960design macrumors 68000

Here is a good starting point:
    https://developer.apple.com/ios/human-interface-guidelines/overview/design-principles/

UI is the actual interface used by... well users.
    UX is the experience.

So a beautiful UI that is extremely difficult to use fails the UX side of the equation. When developing I first create workflows on a storyboard and then use the least amount of elements to accomplish the task. Use common themes, if you put the back at the top left... ALWAYS put a back at the top left. So much more...

The world is still trying to figure out best practices for this.

4. jtara macrumors 65816

They are somebody's opinion.

There are many somebodys, with many opinions.

Pick one, if you wish.

5. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku

6. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

It should also be noted that Apple tend to ignore a lot of their own principles by now. They adhered much more strongly to them in the old days.

7. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

1. "Serve the public trust"
    2. "Protect the innocent"
    3. "Uphold the law"
    Sorry. That's Robocop's principles, but they could easily apply to UX as well.

8. lucidmedia macrumors 6502a

While there is a grain of truth to this, one should not discount the millions of dollars spent each year on testing and analytics. UI is increasingly data driven and under constant observation and revision.

9. audiokid macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Just wondering...I'm thinking of taking a 10 week UX course and I'm curious if UX people should have an artistic bend. Like being able to draw really well or is that not really part of being a good UX person?

I personally stink at drawing but UX seems to be drawing my attention these days.

Any and all comments are appreciated!

10. dwig macrumors 6502

Too much of an "artistic bend" is detrimental to developing apps with good UI/UX.

While some artistic ability is handy, it is much more important to understand psychology, both how the human visual system works and how people solve problems.

11. 960design macrumors 68000

As already mentioned, having a little art ability will not hurt at all. But artistic ability and UI/UX principles are completely different comparisons.

12. TraderScooter macrumors newbie

TraderScooter

Agreed, which is why the UX group that I work for has separate people for UI and visual design. UI designers are usually bad visual designers, and visual designers are usually bad UI designers.

Generally speaking, of course. I know there are exceptions to this rule.

13. audiokid macrumors newbie

Did you mean to say that your company has separate people for "UX" and visual design, not UI? It's my present understanding that User Interface design is more visual than UX design and thought maybe that was just a typo.

Also, do UX people have to make a lot of presentations in front of people and/or a lot of public speaking?

14. BHHOWARD macrumors newbie

You will also want to take a look at the Android Material design guideline:

https://material.io/guidelines/material-design/introduction.html

IMO at the current moment, they are providing more guidance than Apple. This is not to start a flame war - my primary daily driving is on macOS and iOS. I have also purchased/continue to purchase many generations of iOS devices for my family.

15. audiokid macrumors newbie

Thank you BHHOWARD!

16. ezekielrage_99, Jun 13, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2017

ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

I'm a Lead UX/UI designer at the moment...

upload_2017-6-13_22-35-46.png

The biggest 3 issues I've come across:
    - Conflating UX/UI they are not the same.
    - UX is a form of Agile
    - UX/UI is a silver bullet for poorly articulated business case.

This article sums it up pretty nicely and this one as well talks principals.

The basic though, UX is User eXperience this concentrates on the end to end journey to understand the user's mental modes, pain/gain points, interactions, and general user insights. Deliverables tend to be Personas, IA, journey maps, card sorts, wires, etc.

User experience isn't limited to just digital products, a UX friend designed new uniforms for a Fire Department, another one mapped out all of the interaction a user would have going from home to the airport to their flight then landing, another did a deep dive research piece on how people find movies then delivering the different persona types.

It's about solving a user challenge then meeting that with a business solution.

UI is the User Interface, think of it as not only how something looks but how form should be made, the UI is not art it is design. Deliverables are usually photoshop files, Sketch files, high-fidelity prototypes, design assets.

UI Designers I've work with have either come from Graphics Design, Front End Dev or Digital Designer, the key for UI isn't making it pretty it's about designing to a technically feasible solution.

17. audiokid macrumors newbie

This is supper helpful, thank you so much!