iOS UIAlertView Unwind Segue

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Hello,

I am working on a project using storyboards. The initial scene is a UITableViewController embedded in a Navigation Controller. When a button is pressed on this scene, it segues to a UIViewController that is embedded in another Navigation Controller. Upon the ViewController loading, a UIAlertView appears with a cancel button. This button is handled by my view controller. When is it pressed it should segue back to the TableView controller.

Code:
-(void)alertView:(UIAlertView *)alertView clickedButtonAtIndex:(NSInteger)buttonIndex{
    if (buttonIndex == 0) {
        NSLog(@"Canceled.");
        [self.navigationController popViewControllerAnimated:YES];
        NSLog(@"The number of view controllers: %i", [[self.navigationController viewControllers] count]);
    }else{

}
}
The NSLog fires as expected letting me know that the cancel button has been pressed. Then the popViewControllerAnimated: does nothing. According to the documentation it should set the previous view controller as the current one (in this case the TableViewController). When I log the number of view controllers in the stack, the value is 1.

Is this because the TableViewController is being handled by a separate Navigation Controller?

And if so, what is the best way to unwind the segue? Or, am I completely botching something?

Could someone please help me understand my mistake(s)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

JohnsonK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2014
You are popping one UINavigationController expecting it to have an effect on another UINavigationController.

Is there a particular reason you're using two separate UINavigationControllers?

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
You are popping one UINavigationController expecting it to have an effect on another UINavigationController.
I suspected that was the case.

Is there a particular reason you're using two separate UINavigationControllers?
I am using two separate UINavigationControllers as Apple's Storyboards tutorial I read recently embedded each ViewController with a separate UINavigationController.

This is my first time using storyboards as I am usually working on OS X programs where Storyboards are not an option.

I know if I wasn't doing this through a UIAlertView I could connect a button in Interface Builder to exit: , but as far as I know, UIAlertView buttons can't be connected in IB.

Is there a way I can still go backwards if I am using two navigation controllers?

Thanks

Last edited:

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
I am using two separate UINavigationControllers as Apple's Storyboards tutorial I read recently embedded each ViewController with a separate UINavigationController.
Which tutorial is this? Please be as specific as possible. That is, please provide a URL, at least. Thanks.

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
Does the segue to the second view present it modally or push it onto the navigation stack? Because you'll want to reverse this in your button action, either using dismissViewControllerAnimated:completion: or popViewControllerAnimated:

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Does the segue to the second view present it modally or push it onto the navigation stack? Because you'll want to reverse this in your button action, either using dismissViewControllerAnimated:completion: or popViewControllerAnimated:
It is presented modally. The methods you suggested do not work. I don't know why though. I suspect it is because my two view controllers are handled by two different navigation controllers. How should I move backwards with that being the case?

Thanks.

Last edited:

dejo

Staff member
Sep 2, 2004
The Centennial State
It is presented modally. The methods you suggested do not work. I don't know why though. I suspect it is because my two view controllers are handled by two different navigation controllers. How should I move backwards with that being the case?

Thanks.
Can you show me the code you used in your alertView:clickedButtonAtIndex: that calls dismissViewControllerAnimated:completion:?

I tried the following and it works fine for me:
Code:
- (void)alertView:(UIAlertView *)alertView clickedButtonAtIndex:(NSInteger)buttonIndex {
    if (buttonIndex == 0) {
        NSLog(@"Canceled.");
        [self dismissViewControllerAnimated:YES completion:^{}];
    }
}

Blakeasd

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Can you show me the code you used in your alertView:clickedButtonAtIndex: that calls dismissViewControllerAnimated:completion:?

I tried the following and it works fine for me:
Code:
- (void)alertView:(UIAlertView *)alertView clickedButtonAtIndex:(NSInteger)buttonIndex {
    if (buttonIndex == 0) {
        NSLog(@"Canceled.");
        [self dismissViewControllerAnimated:YES completion:^{}];
    }
}
That works! I misread the method you suggested and thought it was one of the ones I already tried.

Thanks for your help!