UIButton behind UIImageVIew

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by nashyo, Jan 17, 2012.

1. nashyo macrumors 6502

nashyo

I have a label positioned in my view that has a custom UIButton behind it. I have selected 'hidden' so that the button doesn't appear to the user. When the label is touched, the button activates a segue to the next view controller. This works fine.

Trying the same technique with UIImageView is not proving so fruitful.

I have even tried laying a round rect button that isn't hidden on top of the image (partially covering the image), which segues successfully. But as soon as I choose 'hidden', the button is not touchable.

Why does this work for labels but not for UIImageView?

Thanks

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

First, why are you using multiple controls when the standard UIButton can show text and/or images?

3. nashyo thread starter macrumors 6502

nashyo

UIButton?

I've found that the text on a button doesn't position itself very well. Especially when the text is dynamic and of an unpredictable length. To be honest, I haven't tried putting an image onto a button yet, but surely a UIImageView object would be more suitable for that?

4. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

No.
    You can still change font, size positioning of text in a button. A button is very much capable of having an image. You probably want to be using a button here...

In either case having a "hidden" button behind the view isn't a solution.

You want to attach a UIGestureRegognizer to the view you want tappable. Then you can make your label or image view behave like a button rather than having a button behind.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

UIButton's titleLabel property is a UILabel. You can do all the positioning, etc. you want with it.

A UIButton with an image can highlight when touched and can easily be setup with an action message. To me, it's much more suitable.