Resolved UICollectionView and UIMenuController [workaround]

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ChristianJapan, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ChristianJapan, Aug 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

I managed to get the UICollectionView running with UIMenuController. In many cases it works perfectly and I get the context menu for the item I selected.
    But in 20% of the cases the item selected and where the menus shows up are be different ...

Like this case: I clicked on the top left item but the popup comes down left.

image.jpg

When looking into indexPath it even shows section 1, item 0; wrongly as I pressed section 0, item 0; can happen with all item.
    Any idea what can be wrong ?

2. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

You're going to need to post some code for us to look at. I would think that the -didSelectItemAtIndexPath: method would be valuable to look at

3. ChristianJapan thread starter macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

sure; hope it helps

Basic setup is:
    Each section represent one instance of a "connection" (basically host information); one connection can contain several "units"; adressed via .item

The following functions contain quite some redundant code; I know I should put them in one method but that is more a style/cosmetic question.

This function actually try to store which "unit" got selected by the user

Code:
    - (void)collectionView:(UICollectionView *)collectionView didSelectItemAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
    {
       FAHMAppDelegate *app = (FAHMAppDelegate *) [[UIApplication sharedApplication] delegate];

self.actionUnit = nil;

if (indexPath.section >= 0)
       {
          FAHMConnection *connection = [app.document.clientList objectAtIndex:indexPath.section];
          FAHMUnit *unit = [connection.slotList objectAtIndex:indexPath.item];
          self.actionUnit = unit;
       }

}

similar function ... this one update the context menu with respect to one entry; the NSLog in here is actually the one I saw with the wrong information e.g. clicked on section 0, item 0 but get section 1, item 0.

Code:
    - (BOOL)collectionView:(UICollectionView *)collectionView shouldShowMenuForItemAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
    {

FAHMAppDelegate *app = (FAHMAppDelegate *) [[UIApplication sharedApplication] delegate];

#if 1
       NSLog(@"can show action for section %d, item %d ", indexPath.section, indexPath.item);
    #endif

self.actionUnit = nil;

FAHMConnection *connection = nil;
       FAHMUnit *unit = nil;

if (indexPath.section >= 0 && indexPath.section < [app.document.clientList count])
       {
          connection = [app.document.clientList objectAtIndex:indexPath.section];
          unit = [connection getUnitAtIndex:indexPath.item];

self.slotProject.title = [NSString stringWithFormat:@"Project %@", unit.project.project ];

[[UIMenuController sharedMenuController] update];
       }

return YES;
    }

and the "decider code" for what entry in the menu should be shown
    Code:
    - (BOOL)collectionView:(UICollectionView *)collectionView
          canPerformAction:(SEL)action
        forItemAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath
                withSender:(id)sender
    {

#if 1
       NSLog(@"can perform action for section %d, item %d ", indexPath.section, indexPath.item);
    #endif

self.actionUnit = nil;

FAHMConnection *connection = nil;
       FAHMUnit *unit = nil;

if (indexPath.section >= 0 && indexPath.section < [app.document.clientList count])
       {
          connection = [app.document.clientList objectAtIndex:indexPath.section];
          unit = [connection getUnitAtIndex:indexPath.item];
       }

if (action == @selector(pauseSlot:))
       {
          if (connection && unit)
          {
             if (!unit.unitIsDummy)
             {
                self.actionUnit = unit;
                return YES;
             }
          }
       }

Some guts feeling tells me it is a problem with the firstResponder; which one should it be: the collectionViewController or the collectionView ?

Code:
    - (void)viewDidAppear:(BOOL)animated

{
       NSLog(@"become first responder");
       [self.collectionView becomeFirstResponder];
    }

let me know if you need other snipplets.

4. ChristianJapan thread starter macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

ok; I gave up on that one and implemented my own Popover view triggered by a long-tap-gesture ... that way I even have some nicer way to utilize the popover for other stuff. It works flawless (for what I see until now)