UIImageView colors look faded

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by counciler, Feb 15, 2011.

1. counciler macrumors newbie

Whenever I add images to a UIImageView either through code or the interface builder the colors don't look nearly as colorful and vibrant as they originally are. It'll look fine in the interface builder, but as soon as the simulator starts the colors look faded and drab looking. Is this a problem with the simulator, UIImageView or something else?

2. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

I've never experienced this problem. Does it look fine on your device? I have, however, had extra large images appear pixellated on the simulator but they also look pixellated in IB and on my device.

Nick

3. counciler thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't put it on my device yet. Haven't quite taken the plunge on buying the developer's license. Since a license only lasts a year I wanted to learn as much as possible before I bought it.

I don't know if it'd make much of a difference, but they're jpg images. I have someone else making the images and asked him for png but he made a jpg and said it's better because it's less file size and the quality difference is negligible. Could that make a difference?

4. chown33 macrumors 604

Upload the images to a website and see what they look like with the browser.

If only there were a website where you could freely upload pictures...

5. counciler thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I uploaded the image to imageshack, and it still looks fine. So I decided to take this opportunity to upload a comparison shot of what I'm dealing with and show it to you guys so maybe you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about in case I didn't explain it properly.

I took a screen shot and edited it so the two images are side by side. the smaller one on the left is how it looks in IB, the larger one on the right that looks less colorful is the iPhone simulator.

[​IMG]

6. nickculbertson macrumors regular

nickculbertson

Here is a screenshot of an app I made with the view on the right and the iPhone simulator on the left. I guess the colors do look a little faded but mainly the pixellation gets on my nerves. I think your computer screen (and the view) can handle better quality images than the simulator. Perhaps you could change the file size and if that doesn't work tweak the brightness and contrast.
    Nick

[​IMG]

7. counciler thread starter macrumors newbie

I've sort of figured out what's happening, it turns out my computer was lying to me and the simulator was telling me the truth. Apparently what happened is when my partner sent me the original image it was too big (as well as colored like in the simulator), so I resized it in Gimp. Apparently when I did that, the colors darkened somehow. So when I put it into interface builder, it still showed up as Gimp saved it, but when the simulator popped up it was back to normal as my partner had sent it. I'm still not quite sure how all this happened, but I do like the colors better in the Gimp version so I'll have to see if he can re-color them so they'll show up like that in the iPhone.