UIPopoverController displaying an UIPickerView

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by mycompuser, Apr 2, 2013.

1. mycompuser macrumors member

Hello all,

I am relatively new to iOS development.

In my universal app, for iPad, I have an UIPopoverController over which I want to display an UIPickerView's object _pickerView.

I create the UIPickerView object and set it's delegate and datasource as self and also implement the 3 datasource and 1 delegate method of UIPickerView.

Now when I try to add the UIPickerView object as subview to to UIPopoverController object's view, I don't see the UIPickerView being displayed at all. I only see the blank popover control being shown.

The code used to add the picker view to popoverController is provided below.

Code:
    [self.popoverController.contentViewController.parentViewController.view addSubview:_pickerView];

//note: popoverController is an object of UIPopoverController.

What am I doing wrong for iPad?.

I execute the below mentioned code for iPhone device which works fine.
    Code:
                [self.view.window addSubview:_pickerView];

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

That is not the usual way to set the content view of your popover. Where did you learn this?

The usual complementary approach to a popover on the iPhone is to present the view modally.

You obviously are favoring addSubview: as your solution to present new views. That is much less common nowadays. May I ask what resources you are using to learn iOS programming? (Please be as specific as possible).

3. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

In general, you should treat a view controller's views as private any time you have code that says

Code:
    some_other_view_controller.some_subview
    It is a design error.

You should create a custom subclass of UIViewController that has it's own XIB file (or scene in storyboard, if you're using storyboards) and manages a picker.

Let's call the class MyPickerController.

You'd then create an instance of MyPickerController and use it to initialize your popover. The code might look something like this: (adapted from one of our apps)

Code:
      //Create the view controller you want to display.
      MyPickerController *thePickerController =[[PickSourcesViewController alloc] initWithNibName: nil bundle: nil]; 

thePickerController.delegate = self; //Only needed if you need to manage the picker controller as it runs...

if ([[UIDevice currentDevice] userInterfaceIdiom] == UIUserInterfaceIdiomPhone)
      {
        //iPhone doesn't support popovers, so just display it as a modal.
        [theSourceVC presentViewController: thePickerController
                               animated: TRUE
                             completion: nil];
      }
      else
      {
        //create a popover controller to manage the popover, and give it our picker controller as a content VC
        currentPopover = [[UIPopoverController alloc] initWithContentViewController: thePickerController];

thePickerController.thePopover = currentPopover; //only needed if the VC needs access to it's popover.
        [currentPopover setPopoverContentSize: thePickerController.view.bounds.size animated: NO];

[self showPopover];
      }

4. mycompuser thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply.

The above mentioned code snippet is an extract from the iPhone/iPad app which I am working on. There is an UI issue which I was trying to fix in the product.

Did find few sample reference projects where they are using UIPopoverController and UIPickerView but separately.

Could somebody share a link to some sample project demonstrating the required task which I can lookup as reference.

Thanks & Regards.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

There may not be any examples out there. One of the skills of being a programmer is being able to combine separate-but-proven solutions into a single solution that solves your desired problem. So, you may have a solution for presenting a popover and you may have a solution for presenting a picker-view. You then need to apply your skills and talent to combine them.

Again, I ask: what resources are you using to learn iOS programming?

P.S. And did you read Duncan C's post?

6. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

See my code above. I posted code showing how to create a view controller and display it in a popover on iPad, and a modal on iPhone/iPod touch.