UITabBar on "normal" page?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by richard.puckett, Sep 30, 2008.

1. richard.puckett macrumors newbie

richard.puckett

Everything I've seen seems to suggest that tab bars should be added to the UIWindow from within the app delegate. I note that the Elements example does this.

However, in my app I'd like to have a tab bar on a page which lies a couple levels deep (using nav controller). This page shows a list of data and I'd like to use the tab bar to be a means of re-ordering that data in different ways, similar to the Elements example, only from deeper in the app.

I know the docs say to not add a tab bar controller to a nav controller, but does this apply for tab bar controllers composited in a "normal" view controller as well? My testing seems to be confirming that tab bar controllers indeed cannot be used in any way from within a nav controller stack. Any quick pointers would be appreciated. TIA.

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Yea, I wouldn't do it. It'd be confusing to the user, that is why they suggest not to put tab bars into nav controllers. It should be the other way around. If you need something with that functionality in a nav controller, write your own custom control.