UITextField, Bezel or RoundedRect?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by fenrus110, May 2, 2008.

1. fenrus110 macrumors regular

The official Apples docs say:

UITextFieldBorderStyleBezel - Displays a bezel-style border for the text field. This style is typically used for standard data-entry fields.

UITextFieldBorderStyleRoundedRect - Displays a rounded-style border for the text field. This style is typically used for search buttons.

So that means for all forms and stuff, they recommend Bezel. I wouldn't call myself an Apple guy or evangelist or anything (I'm actually a Windows guy), but in general, I find Macs like to use rounded fields and rounded buttons.

There is a UISearchBar element, so I don't understand why they would want to use a UITextField for search buttons.

So what are you guys using for UITextFields? As we are trying to appeal to the Apple crowd, look and feel.

2. ace2600 macrumors member

I originally planned to use UITextFields with Bezel for input in my app. But I was hard pressed to find UITextFields with any borders used anywhere in the iPhone. They're probably there, but most of the time, it's a cell and a UITextField with no border (see settings->mail->add account).

This may not directly answer your question, just my observations on the phone's UITextField look and feel.