UIView displaying outside superview, but is apparently within bounds

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by moonman239, Sep 24, 2015.

1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I have a view in my storyboard that seems to be acting like it doesn't want to go where I want it to go. In the debugger, on a breakpoint after adding constraints, I ran
    Code:
    po (BOOL)CGRectContainsPoint((CGRect)[self bounds],(CGPoint)[textField center])

and got a YES response.

Here's the implementation code for the superview class:
    Code:
    -(instancetype)initWithCoder:(NSCoder *)aDecoder

{

self = [superinitWithCoder:aDecoder];

if (self) {

label = [[UILabelalloc] init];

[labelsetText:@"blahblah"];

textField = [[UITextFieldalloc] init];

[textFieldsetText:@"Mr. M"];

[labelsetTranslatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints:false];

[textFieldsetTranslatesAutoresizingMaskIntoConstraints:false];

[labelsetFrame:CGRectMake(150, 50, 100, 100)];

[textFieldsetFrame:CGRectMake(50, 50, 100, 100)];

[textFieldsetClipsToBounds:YES];

[selfaddSubview:label];

[selfaddSubview:textField];

}

returnself;

}

-(void)updateConstraints

{

[superupdateConstraints];

NSDictionary *views = NSDictionaryOfVariableBindings(label,textField);

NSArray *horizConstraints = [NSLayoutConstraintconstraintsWithVisualFormat:@"H:|-0-[label(textField)]-0-|"options:0metrics:nilviews:views];

NSArray *lblHeight = @[[NSLayoutConstraintconstraintWithItem:labelattribute:NSLayoutAttributeToprelatedBy:NSLayoutRelationEqualtoItem:selfattribute:NSLayoutAttributeTopmultiplier:1constant:0],[NSLayoutConstraintconstraintWithItem:labelattribute:NSLayoutAttributeBottomrelatedBy:NSLayoutRelationEqualtoItem:selfattribute:NSLayoutAttributeTopmultiplier:12constant:100]];

NSArray *txtHeight = @[[NSLayoutConstraintconstraintWithItem:textFieldattribute:NSLayoutAttributeBottomrelatedBy:NSLayoutRelationEqualtoItem:selfattribute:NSLayoutAttributeBottommultiplier:1constant:0],[NSLayoutConstraintconstraintWithItem:textFieldattribute:NSLayoutAttributeToprelatedBy:NSLayoutRelationEqualtoItem:selfattribute:NSLayoutAttributeBottommultiplier:1constant:-50]];

[selfaddConstraints:horizConstraints];

[selfaddConstraints:txtHeight];

[selfaddConstraints:lblHeight];

}

Will someone please help? Thanks.

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

Why are you doing this layout in code? I would recommend at a minimum, set up the layout in the storyboard until it works the way you want. You can then translate it to code if you really want.

3. Hagrid macrumors member

Hagrid

I agree, much easier to start in the storyboard and then tweak if necessary.

4. moonman239 thread starter macrumors 68000

So, I stayed up late last night - found a way to get the view looking the way I wanted it to. Along the way, I learned that AutoLayout is kind of pesky, shall we say. You can either translate autoresizing masks into constraints or define constraints to describe exactly where a subview should be relative to the subview's parent.

If Bob is a subview of Alice, and Alice is the view we're designing in code, and you set a width constraint for Bob, you can pretty safely expect that - in the absence of a center constraint on Bob - Bob will maintain a different position than you wanted him to.