UIViews display varying image quality.

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by flummoxed, Nov 27, 2010.

1. flummoxed macrumors member

I am displaying icon sized images (44 x 44) on different UIViews with differing quality results.

If I display the images on a UIPickerView row they are all sharp as the original source images.

If I display the images on a UIImageView some are sharp and some are fuzzy.

Some are .png , some are .gif , and some are .jpg, but the format type does not seem to be the determining factor since not all .png images are sharp or fuzzy. It looks like a completely mixed bag.

Why would different views draw the same images differently?

2. flummoxed thread starter macrumors member

I've done some troubleshooting tests to try to isolate the problem with this.

I have found some inconsistency in the way images are drawn depending on how the view is created.

In the current case in which the UIImageView image is fuzzy the imageView was created programmatically and made a subview of the containing view.

In another case I created an seemingly indentical view with the same image and frame bounds in Interface Builder and interactively made it a subview.

When I run the app and look at the resulting images, the imageView created in IB is sharp while the programmatically created view is fuzzy.

So it appears that ImageViews created in IB go through a different setup and display procedure than an ImageView created in the program. I don't know what those differences are, but it would make a big difference in building the app to know what they are.