Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anmldr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Will UIWebView allow you to view HTML documents loaded on the iPhone itself or only access to web pages on the Internet? I have an eBook that is all in HTML. However, I would like to eventually "package" it as an app rather than only allowing access to it to people that have web access. Many times (even at my own home), I find that I do not have access to the web and yet, I would want access to my own material. If UIWebView would allow access to HTML files in internal memory, this would solve the problem.

Linda

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
I'm not 100% sure but from what I've seen a URL is a file or a web address so if UIWebView uses NSUrl objects I don't see why not.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
Yes you can put html files inside the app bundle and display them in a UIWebView. That's what I'm doing for some of my help info so it can be easily viewed off-line.

anmldr

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 14, 2008
Thank you firewood. I am very new to Apple programming. Going back over some C books and trying to find info in the iPhone documentation. Trying to learn Obj C, etc. Waiting for all of the iPhone dev books to be released :)

How do you "include" the HTML documents in your app? In Xcode? Can you just include a folder of HTML docuements so that their relative addresses remain intact? What about the css files?

Any help is appreciated and thanks for answering so quickly previously.

Linda

cdr2008

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2008
I also need to figure out how to do this so any help from you guys would be appreciated. I need to deploy an app through itunes that is an offline webapp contained in a standalone wrapper. Also does anyone know if you can still use the sqlite functionality of safari while the webapp is embedded?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.