UK 2 year warranty with apple products?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Rocketpaul, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Rocketpaul macrumors regular

Further to a post I saw on another thread, is it true that apple products bought in the UK are covered 2 warranty due to EU law?

2. jonawand macrumors member

By Beglian law they are obligated to give 2 years of warranty, but I don't know what the specific laws are for the UK.

You could ask it at your local store?

3. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

6 years in the UK.

2 years minimum.

This has always been the case with the sale of goods act 1979 even before EU law.

Most people don't know about it.

Apple even tell you about UK 6 year warranty on the website.

http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/

4. Rocketpaul thread starter macrumors regular

so if a manufacturer fault occurs after 1 year i am entitled to a free repair? does that mean apple care is only adding 1 extra year cover?

5. nick676 macrumors newbie

Would this apply if the MacBook was bought from a third party, such as eBay or Amazon? Is the warranty with whoever you bought the item from, or with the manufacturer?

6. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

That isn't a warranty per se though, it is your right to make a claim against them usually for unsatisfactory quality. A real warranty is where you call up and they give you a replacement if the device is faulty without having to prove that the defect was caused by them.

7. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Usually the seller.

That's who you have the contract of sale with.

I like to buy my Apple products from John Lewis.

They have a no quibble 2 year warranty included on most Apple products.

8. Rocketpaul thread starter macrumors regular

Does that include MacBooks, I was under the impression you only get one year with the device. You have to pay for apple care to get an additional 2 years, no?

9. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

The John Lewis warranty is an additional year's policy that comes free with all of their Apple products. From when I last tried to use it, don't expect a loan machine or a quick turnaround though.

David

10. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

In Portugal the EU law applies. You have the right to a 2 year warranty on any goods you purchase. It's no different with Apple products.

My rMBP had an issue with the screen two weeks ago (bought it in July '12) and the warranty applied with no problems at all. Since the display was not fixed but replaced, now I have another 2 years counting from today to use my warranty. Also, I bought it in one retailer and sent it for repair on an authorised Apple service centre and the warranty applied anyway so I guess you may buy wherever you want and then have it serviced at an Apple Store if needed.

Apple Care is a ripoff in EU countries since you already have a 2 year warranty by law. Of corse it offers more than another year.. I'm just mentioning that 1 year thingy in particular.