Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Hi all,

I am a long time reader of this forum but this is only my second post here. I did a search was not able to find an answer to my question so I am reaching out to all London based people for some help.

I am planning to get the Iphone when it releases in Belgium, only there is no confirmed date yet, and if the launch is anything like the 3GS launch there will be no stock to actually get it before September/October. Now I am not terribly concerned by that time-line, but I will be travelling from Belgium to the UK for business next week Tuesday and was thinking it would be nice to pick up the new Iphone a bit earlier then I expected.

Now I know it has just been released and the stocks in the UK are also not abundant but I was hoping some of you could keep me up to date on where best to try to get hold of one (apple store, ...) next week Tuesday, and the overall stock levels in London.

If there is really no chance of getting hold of one then I will not bother getting out of work early to search for one, but if there is I would like to try.

Thanks all in advance,

jonnykanzen

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
All I can say is that the 32gb was sold out by 9:30am where I was yesterday. (Unless you had one reserved)

But who knows what stock will be like by next week..

malbright

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Not sure if this will help you, but for what it's worth ...

I just left the Westfield Apple store in White City. There were about 20 people in line at the 8am opening time. All of them got iPhones, and it looked to me like they had a ton in stock.

wawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
thanks a ton. Do you think it could be useful to call the apple store on the day itself to confirm if they have any in stock?

Thanks

malbright

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Well, it couldn't hurt. But I've found that sometimes if you just go to the store when it opens (Get there a bit early to make sure you've got a good spot), that's your best bet. You'll find that when you call the stores they're very helpful, but five different people might tell you five different things, which is understandable.

You could always just reserve one online, too.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
It's also worth just taking a chance. I waited 3 hours to pick my reserved iPhone up at the Apple Store in Kingston and when I finally made it into work a colleague came up and told me she'd just popped into a local CPW and got their last one. That store wasn't even supposed to get any stock in!

iambasil

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
London, UK
Not sure if this will help you, but for what it's worth ...

I just left the Westfield Apple store in White City. There were about 20 people in line at the 8am opening time. All of them got iPhones, and it looked to me like they had a ton in stock.
Not the case at all.

malbright

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2008
Maybe they had less stock later in the day, but it certainly was the case when I was there in the morning.

wawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Hi all,

Thanks for the answers. Just to relaunch this thread as I will be travelling over tomorrow. What is the situation like at the moment?

Also one more question (sorry if this has been answered somewhere else). O2's site has a handy in/out of stock tool, and always seems to have at least 1 store with some stock. Can you buy a contract free unlocked phone from O2, or is this only possible from an apple store?

Thanks in advance,

Bratboy

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2010
Hi all,

Thanks for the answers. Just to relaunch this thread as I will be travelling over tomorrow. What is the situation like at the moment?

Also one more question (sorry if this has been answered somewhere else). O2's site has a handy in/out of stock tool, and always seems to have at least 1 store with some stock. Can you buy a contract free unlocked phone from O2, or is this only possible from an apple store?

Thanks in advance,

No.

O2 are giving priority of their limited stock to existing customers only. (and it will be contracted/locked).

The only place to get contract and SIM free phones would be from one of the Apple Stores.

You would also have to check to see if your carrier in Belgium would do/have MicroSim's which is what the new iPhone uses (as opposed to the Regular SIM cards).

Hope that helps.

Reser

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Hi all,

Thanks in advance,

Only can get Sim-Free unlocked phones from Apple.

O2 e.t.c will have pay and go phones in July at earliest but they will be locked.

wawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
Thanks guys, I will be ringing the apple stores tomorrow then it seems.

dikketienes

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2008
Hi,

I'm planning to go this thursday.
So please let me know where you got your phone (If they where in stock).

Greets

wawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
thanks I will call regent street this afternoon, and maybe some others

wawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
One last request for an update as it seems I am currently unable to get through to the apple store by phone (on hold now for a whole time)

Is there anyone browsing the forums that has an update on the stocks of the London apple stores?

Thanks once again,

wawa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2008
For those who where following this thread in the hope for some extra info.

I called all 3 London based apple stores yesterday and they where unfortunately all out of stock. They offered to put me on a priority list, and inform me when a phone for me came in, but as I was only 1 day in London for business this did not work for me.

So thanks to everyone that helped me out, it was greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.