UK 3G iPhone may go to Vodafone!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CD3660, Sep 21, 2007.

1. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

2. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

I dont think this is going to happen. o2 would sue apple.

3. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

According to the article the agreement with O2 is specifically for the 2G model. Apple are shrewd enough to have left their options open on the 3G.

4. sweetice2007 macrumors 6502

i cant see the iphone 3g vers being released on o2, o2 are spending loads right now to bring in edge..it would cost them loads to bring in 3g next year at some point. Although 3 arent bigger than the other networks yet, they are the best 3g network around and id be happy to wait and get the 3g version through 3 or get a handset only and put my 3 sim in there.

5. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

..and screw over existing O2 iPhone users? They said in the states that iPhone users could upgrade to the latest iPhone without messing with their contract.

That's what I hope anyway.

6. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

How can you say that? It would totally depend on what *exactly* has been signed between o2 and Apple.

I do think it's unlikely, but I would love if it were to happen since I've been with Vodafone for years and would probably get a good deal :p

7. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Do you think that they would care, if the deal was right for them. It obviously was with O2 as we all know to our potential cost.

This is the world of big business and the pursuit of maximum profit after all.

That was in the USA. May be a different story in the UK.

Anyway, you would still be able to use your 2G phone on the magnificent EDGE network. :p :D

P.S. Whilst you are on, what happened to you on launch day? I thought that you were going to be posting from the Regent Street store and keeping us all informed. :confused:

8. 210 macrumors regular

What About...

What could happen would be the next generation of iPhone will still be on O2, but another network can get the contract as well. Maybe this is what the guy from Vodafone means

9. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Probably. O2's coverage of 3G isn't that great compared to it's competitors. Maybe this lends credence to the rumours of Vodafone providing backup 3G to O2 (like they do for 3?).

10. PhightinPhils26 macrumors 6502a

PhightinPhils26

This makes sence... if you watch the video of Steve-O in the UK he was asked by a reporter as to why he decided to go with different carriers as opposed to just one European... Steve then had the "sly fox" look on his face and answered with some sneeky answer... video link below.

UK VIDEO

11. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

Interesting video - thanks for the link.

12. RossoA macrumors 6502

RossoA

After using GPRS all my life, and never having a 3G phone I don't really care!

Was there any point? I was there, and I started posting on UKiPhone.org, but after seeing Engadget's site complete with pics and there being a video feed and all I didn't see the point as everyone was watching one site or another, rather than ours! Here's to Nov. 9!

13. CD3660 thread starter macrumors 68040

CD3660

I'll second that. Can't come too soon!

14. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

i'll third that, going to the apple store tomorrow to have a play with the touch, the countdown is well and truly on.