UK 3GS PAYG = Mandatory top up upon purchase?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tyranical, Jun 15, 2009.

1. tyranical macrumors regular

Am i right in thinking that if i go to an O2 store on Friday and buy the phone on PAYG they are going to force me there and then to top up they won't just give it me and let me take it home to do it (or not do it i should say as i'm putting simplicity in)

2. stuartteach macrumors member

no, I went to the o2 store in swansea today and asked about the process and they said you will go in and buy the phone which comes with a sim card in an envelope inside and I would have to go home and activate it with itunes - when i activated it I would be given £10 credit - I'm swapping sim cards with my current one - so simular to you

hope this helps

3. tyranical thread starter macrumors regular

Hope your correct as i'll be turning around and walking straight back out if they won't sell it me unless i top up there and then, i read somewhere they make you topup £20 before they'll give it you. I also read that if you don't activate the PAYG sim you can use the bolt ons from it on the simplicity sim??

4. LondonDude89 macrumors newbie

Pretty sure you'll have to top up at the time.

They do it on all other phones, why wouldn't they do it on the iPhone?

5. sallythemac Guest

I would work on the premise you will have to top-up £10 for a card transaction and £20 for a cash transaction at CPW and O2. However, i have read that Apple do not require you to top up the handset if purchased from them.

6. tyranical thread starter macrumors regular

Ah but the problem is i will be getting it from an O2 shop as the nearest apple store to me is scouseland (liverpool) and thats a good 40 mins on the train from here in chester :p.

7. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

Is that even legal to force you to buy a top-up with a phone?

With O2 actively promoting the ability for existing contract iPhone customers to purchase a PAYG iPhone 3GS and put their existing SIM into it, it sounds a little bit like profiteering to have to pay £10 on top of the purchase price for PAYG credit which you're not going to use...

Doesn't bother me, I'm going to the Apple store to buy mine as I'm not prepared to give O2 a penny more than I have to.