UK 4G Network. O2 or EE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TwoBytes, Sep 15, 2014.

1. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I've put it down to these two networks as I need visual voicemail and don't want a 3rd party solution. Is there a massive difference between the two? EE touts double speed 4G with 4GEE. Is this noticeable?

2. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

In my experience EE's coverage is much better, but their customer service is catastrophically bad whereas O2's is actually quite good.

3. zoonyx macrumors 6502

EE is far better (that's not to say it's perfect btw)

4. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

5. catean macrumors regular

catean

I am with Vodafone and I am really happy with their 4G network in London.

6. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

If you are in a big city 99% of the time get O2.

If you are in the middle of nowhere for any significant time, then get EE and prepare for battle.

7. highlightshadow macrumors regular

I'm with EE now - went there for the 4G network ... in fairness its been pretty solid getting around 35Mbps in most places...

I've just cancelled with them as i can't get a signal at home so its just too much hassle for now (i was on a 12month contract anyway) ... so i'm back with O2 on a 30-day since i get 4G at home now with O2 ...

But as soon as EE launch this new 'WiFi calling' feature with the iPhone6 i fully expect to switch back to EE - assuming it works as advertised ... Only time i've had to deal with Customer Services with EE was to cancel and the lady who dealt with my request was polite, efficient and helpful.

Just seems like they're not going live with it until later

8. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

O2 = great customer service. Bad cell network
    EE = The opposite

O2 has 99% coverage but only 80% of that is 3G
    EE has 98% 3G coverage

For my money Three is best but no visual voicemail.

9. youknome macrumors 6502

youknome

Anyone in the Birmingham area (or wider) with EE and confirm whether they're any good?

4G or 3G whichever.

10. d123 macrumors 68000

d123

If your choice is only between EE and O2 and data speed and reliability are important, you have only one choice, EE.

O2 is good for voice and data, virtually everywhere, very bad for data, virtually everywhere...

11. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Thanks for the helpful replies. I have a good sim only deal with O2 for 5GB of data. Shame EE don't do more than 4GB on their SIM free plans.

12. highlightshadow macrumors regular

Yeah i noticed that ... i currently am on a 5GB sim-only deal with EE but now seems only 4GB max ...

13. Sgh808 macrumors member

Sgh808

Both are good. I live on the outskirts, travel through the city centre and work in Solihull. I pretty much receive 4G the whole journey.

14. TwoBytes thread starter macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

I can't live on that much data which is a show stopper for moving to EE. Until they change it, I'll stick to O2

15. Ergates-thi-Ant macrumors 6502

Borrow someone's phones, one on each network. Then go check out your home and work for signal and data speed, and anywhere you spend lots of time. Then make your decision based on data that's relevant to you personally. :)

----------

For me, this is 3. Fast and good signal for most of the places I go to. If I lived in a particular location a few miles down the road, I'd be on O2. Luckily I don't live there.

16. Browno01 macrumors regular

Just switched from O2 to EE, O2 had no 4G where I live in Norwich, moved to EE, getting 35mbps in my bedroom, and we're about 5m out of Norwich. Needed a network with Visual Voicemail due to the amount I get, so EE were the obvious choice for me, and saved me £4 a month compared to what I was on with O2.