Carrier Uk 4g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Samtb, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Samtb macrumors 65816

If you want 4g and own an iphone 5, do you think it's worth switching to EE (16.99p/m for 1GB data, 1000 minutes and unlimited texts) or stay on O2 (16p/m for 1GB data, unlimited minutes and texts) and get an iphone 6. I don't know what EE are like.

2. camperdown9 macrumors regular

London, England & Chatillon-Sur-Seine, France
    Do you use more than 1000 mins? If so stick with O2.

If you don't, then before switching to EE I would buy a pay as you go EE4G sim from them and check what their signal is like in your home, work and anywhere else you spend a lot of time. Before getting your pac from O2 and signing up to a contract. Ok you might end up wasting £10 on toping up the pay as you go sim, but there is nothing worse than signing up to a network and porting over your number to a company who just don't have a signal in a place where you spend a lot of time.

Alex

3. Samtb thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. I tend not to use more than 1000 minutes. But I hear mixed reviews about EE so that might be a good idea. Are O2 ever likely to use 1800MHz 4g?

4. sunking101 macrumors 604

sunking101

EE have WAY better 4G coverage, the best in the UK by far. O2 use 800MHz and it's the only licence they have. They paid £15m for the old analogue tv frequency in the 4G licence auction. 800MHz is good for penetrating buildings (so good indoors) but the speed isn't as good as the higher frequencies.

5. McScooby macrumors 6502a

bit of an oxymoron either way, 4G & 1GB of data, suppose it depends what you're doing, personally though, I'd be looking for highest usage at lowest price if going down that road!

6. shifomu macrumors member

I recently moved from Vodafone 3G to EE 4G (on an extra tariff) on an iPhone 5. I already bought the IPhone 5 outright but didn't want to pay silly amounts for the sim only packages EE were offering. Instead I bought an S4 with 10gbs of data and sold the S4 BNIB and put the sim in my iPhone 5. After selling the s4 my contract worked out to be the equivalent of around £22 a month. So that could be food for thought in regards to paying £17 a month for just 1GB, but I respect the fact that we all use out phones differently.

In regards to service switching from Vodafone 3G to EE 4G is the best decision I ever made. The speeds I get on average are the same as my home broadband (30Mbps) and calling and texting have never been an issue. My average signal is usually 3/5 bars but when I get 5/5 my download increases to around 60Mbps.

In regards to customer service I cannot praise EE enough. Their customer service for me has been excellent and I've been on pretty much every carrier in the UK, o2's being one of the worst (in my experience)

7. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

The iPhone 5 will not work on o2's 4G service.

I sold my iPhone 5 and bought the iPhone 5s because of that.

I'm now on O2 Big Bundle for £20. Which gives me 2Gb of 4G use.

8. MyRomeo macrumors 6502

MyRomeo

I switched to ee from O2 and find the coverage and data speeds to be much better overall. As suggested, get a payg sim and test it for yourself first.

As for iphone 6, I'm happy with my launch day 5 and have no desire to upgrade it yet. It does everything I need it to do and well.

9. bransoj macrumors 6502a

I run my iPhone 5 on 3 network and pay £15 a month for more texts and minutes than i will ever need but also get unlimited data including tethering on their One Plan. It was on an offer when i signed up but its currently £23 per month on a monthly rolling contract or £20 a month if you sign up for a year.

There is no additional cost for 4G and if you are in an area that has it and its enabled on your phone then you will get it. I dont get it where i live but i've recently been in London and Sheffield and my phone just flicked over to 4G.

I assume they will do the iPhone 6 when it lands as well should you wish. Only issue i had signal wise was at home and in return for signing up for a year they sent me a free signal booster that works off my Wifi so i get full signal at home. They also do something called "Feel At Home" which means i can use my phone in 16 countries as if i was in the UK so no roaming charges at all. Handily they've added France just in time for me going there!

10. Allanb1985 macrumors member

I live in a semi rural location and struggle to even get a signal let alone 3G/4G. I have an iphone 5s on a Vodafone 4G plan with unlimited texts, unlimited mins and 6GB data. I only use my phone on wifi in the house (sky 40meg fibre broadband) so its not an issue. Where i work i have an excellent consistently strong 3G signal and recently its been flickering to 4G which indicates Vodafone are rolling it out from the major cities across the UK. In Glasgow i get an excellent 4G signal which I get the chance to use quite frequently. I have been a Vodafone customer for 8 years and have found their service and customer service excellent.

11. McScooby macrumors 6502a

as of march this year 3 no longer offer unlimited tethering on the one plan it's now a hard cap of 2GB, limit of 1TB on the phone data, it's causing quite a stir on the web & they're yet to feel a backlash i suspect, existing customers will be bumped on to it when the current contract expires I believe, used to be a great deal though!

12. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

You can probably get a better deal from EE than the one you quoted. I am paying 22 Per month for unlimited voice, Unlimited Text and 3 G data on a Sim only plan from EE.

13. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

14. CamiMR macrumors 6502

CamiMR

I was an O2 customer for a few years, overall good signal, but at least back then fairly low 3G speeds...
    Three's prices looked very appealing, so decided to give them a go. 3G speeds with strong signal were amazing, as long as I was outdoors, in city centres. Indoors signal is very poor, and even though they gave me a signal booster, which solved the problem at home, elsewhere the signal was really rubbish!! They don't have edge/gprs to fall back to, so I t's either 3G or nothing...
    So finally decided to try EE, whose prices are now much more reasonable, and have been very happy since! Overall good coverage, 3G not as fast as Three, but they already have 4g where I live, which makes up for it.
    At the end of the day, even though it's a smartphone, it still has to work well as a phone, and three, at least in my area, didn't give me that...

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

EE has a special promotion on until 29th June. Unlimited voice and Text plus 8 Gig of 4G data for Sterling 23 per month. This is for a one year SIM only contract. Tethering is included.

16. angusmcfisher macrumors regular

This is only on Phone contracts, SIM Only still includes unlimited tethering on the one plan. This is changing (and the prices are going up too) on the 1st of July.

17. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

I know this is widely thought of as happening at some stage, but do you have a source/link to this as being confirmed?

18. angusmcfisher macrumors regular

I was told this in the Three store just yesterday. They don't know exactly how much things are going up by, but they know that much. Jump on the deal while you can.

19. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

I don't place much faith in what mobile shop staff say, but I think they may be right in this instance.

I'm going to move my sone from Vodafone on to 3's One Plan, to ensure he gets the unlimited tethering.

20. angusmcfisher macrumors regular

I got my family to move over - you can delay the start by a month so you're saving paying two contracts for a month. You won't be disappointed with Three!

21. Azzin macrumors 601

Azzin

That's really good to know, thanks.

My son's VF contract doesn't end for a few months, but I was happy to play the termination fee to move to 3 anyway, but if I can potentially knock a month's rental off of that figure, it's even better!

I'm already on 3 (One Plan SIM Only with unlimited tethering for £15 per month).

I've been with them for a good few years now and have always been pretty happy with them.

I weigh up the slightly weaker voice network against unlimited data and unlimited tethering and I'm perfectly happy with what I get for my £15!

I rarely have to contact them, but when I have, the conversation has never left me seething like I know some people experience! :D

[Edit] - I'm not sure if delaying the move to 3 by a month is actualy worth it TBH, as I pay for his line rental anyway.

So I either pay this next month's and move to 3 in a month's time, or I move him to 3 immediately and I'll pay the renal within the early termination fee, so I may as well just move him over.

Thanks for the info though, good to know. :)