Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
No they're not. O2 and Vodafone are separate companies who have formed an agreement to share their 3G network, similar to the arrangement EE and 3 have.

the infrastructure is the same now. they merged the network.. the entire point is they offer the same network.. and will offer lte under cti right?
just like t-mo and orange did right? with EE

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
the infrastructure is the same now. they merged the network.. the entire point is they offer the same network.. and will offer lte under cti right?
just like t-mo and orange did right? with EE

the same radio network, not the same core network. Big difference.

EE was a parent company set up by France Telecom and Deutsche Telecom to run Orange and T-Mobile as a totally merged company in the UK, all the way down to customer services, IT infrastructure, switches, voicemail systems and so on. None of which is shared by Vodafone and O2.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
the same radio network, not the same core network. Big difference.

EE was a parent company set up by France Telecom and Deutsche Telecom to run Orange and T-Mobile as a totally merged company in the UK, all the way down to customer services, IT infrastructure, switches, voicemail systems and so on. None of which is shared by Vodafone and O2.

right well we were really talking about LTE coverage.. point being LTE coverage will be the same on the two.. since their network is merged and being managed and built by cti now

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
All I know is that LTE seems less and less relevant to me because WiFi is available at virtually all of the locations where I really need quick access. I don't really need LTE so I'm happy to wait for the networks to grow some more before upgrading..

dancarney

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
I'm unconvinced that EE is worth the money. I currently get through c. 1.5GB per week of data and Three are thus far providing an excellent service.

8172636993_38de5ae084_b.jpg

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
sheesh the UK is moving slow with this 4G stuff. The US has had it 2 years now. Verizon having it almost everywehere now.

Yeah sucks

I would of switched from vodafone to orange to get it but my city won't have it anytime soon...

Phazer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2010
Seoul, South Korea
Do you actually pay more for EE LTE?
Those speeds look very low to me, definitely not 4G material.
I'm on 3 with iPhone 5, the one plan and living in Camden Town, so central London and am constantly getting this speed on 3G.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 56

RDowson

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I'm on the T-Mobile Full Monty Plan. Was going to go to EE but the data allowances are terrible.

I'm very glad I haven't switched, especially when I'm getting these 3G speeds:
7F37EE72-08FE-47C4-8A8D-4728C3365DD0-933-00000077E567C27E.jpg

kaibex

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
East Sussex, UK
This is a lot higher than the average result.

Does make me laugh how people expect O2, Vodafone, 3 to come out much cheaper than EE. "500MB on 4G, blah blah blah" easy solution go on higher plan.

Maybe 3 will try to undercut as always, but anyone holding out for unlimited data on LTE with 3 for even £40 will be mistaken.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.4 KB · Views: 46

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
It looks like the SIM only deals have been delayed by a couple of weeks with no new launch date. It's quite annoying.

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Yeah sucks

I would of switched from vodafone to orange to get it but my city won't have it anytime soon...

Sorry, I know it's not the objective of this thread, but;

I don't see why people care. It's expensive and the data allowances are terrible.

I'm regularly getting 10+Mbps on O2 3g (sometimes more, but appreciate that it's location dependant). With speeds like that, and given that I still have an original unlimited data plan, there's no way I'd consider EE.

What do you do with your phones that you require such blistering wireless speeds? If it's to use a tethered modem then I can understand (but they'll fleece you on data still). Loading mobile webpages 0.0001 seconds faster? Even when my phone is crawling along at 3-5 Mbps, it's plenty fast for everyday usage; webpages load instantly, emails send instantly, everything is more or less instant.

Seems to me that peoples main concern is bragging rights with their screenshots on forums like this.

In your day-to-day life, is 4G actually beneficial and worth the massive cost that EE is charging for it?

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
you UK users should be glad >_> us 3G speeds are terrrible compared to yours but our LTE makes up for it... slightly. Us Verizon users have slow 3G and mid-range LTE. AT&T users have fast 3g and fast LTE if you have coverage

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Speeds will go down as more and more people use their 4G masts. For now your probably the one person using the mast so yes, 50mbps is expected. Once more switch your going to his the 8-12mbps they quote on their website.

Enjoy your pitiful data allowance for a lot more money ;)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Sorry, I know it's not the objective of this thread, but;

I don't see why people care. It's expensive and the data allowances are terrible.

I'm regularly getting 10+Mbps on O2 3g (sometimes more, but appreciate that it's location dependant). With speeds like that, and given that I still have an original unlimited data plan, there's no way I'd consider EE.

What do you do with your phones that you require such blistering wireless speeds? If it's to use a tethered modem then I can understand (but they'll fleece you on data still). Loading mobile webpages 0.0001 seconds faster? Even when my phone is crawling along at 3-5 Mbps, it's plenty fast for everyday usage; webpages load instantly, emails send instantly, everything is more or less instant.

Seems to me that peoples main concern is bragging rights with their screenshots on forums like this.

In your day-to-day life, is 4G actually beneficial and worth the massive cost that EE is charging for it?

Seems to me maybe your someone who can't afford 4G LTE and therefore have to justify why you don't want to get it. However what you and a lot of other people seem to forget that speeds vary for everyone even on the same network depending on where they are.

I'm on O2 currently and here in London I get very poor coverage especially at home and at work. My typical download speeds are around 2-3 Mbps. You're lucky if you can get things like web pages, emails etc. load instantly because I can't. Sure I could move to another network on 3G with unlimited data and maybe cost less. That said 4G makes a big difference not only to data natively but also to faster 3G speeds and better 3G signals too. Yes EE is expensive for what you get as they've got no competition but in my opinion its still worth it.

It's got absolutely nothing to do with bragging rights and everything to do with a far better user experience. I don't what speeds I will get but if I can get 20-50 Mbps that's going to be much better then I would get on 3G. I really don't want to switch to a network like Three even though a lot of people seem to swear by them as they have poor customer service and there coverage where I am is poor as well. I'm willing to try EE 4G LTE service even if its for 12 months as it would be SIM only for me so not that expensive.

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
In the UK, outside of major population centres, data speeds can sometimes be poor.

I live six miles from the centre of Nottingham, a large city in the UK. Where I live, 3G speeds are 'OK', and nothing better - on a good day, I might get 1MBps download and that's about it (Orange UK, at the moment).

To be honest, that's enough, as I'm usually within reach of wireless at home and at work (even in my local pub) so I really only use a 3G signal outdoors.

Nottingham is scheduled to get "4G" from EE before the end of this year; but, as noted above, they are charging a premium for the service and the data allowances are very small (the base offering is 500MB/month, half what I currently get on 3G, and they want another £10/month for that).

As one poster posted earlier; if you want to be on the leading-edge of technology, you've got to pay for it.

In the UK, I'm going to wait and see how the other players move into the "4G" market - yes it would be nice to have faster mobile data, but its not killing me not to have it at the moment, and although I could get it, I'm happy to wait until competition does what competition usually does, and drive prices down, and value up!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.