UK: 6S/6S+ power adaptor, non-folding!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jimthing, Sep 15, 2015.

1. jimthing, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Has anyone noticed that the new 6S/6S+ models do NOT come with Apple's folding UK power adaptor. (On the order page, are pix of what's in the box.) How stingy is that.

Come on Apple, hundreds of quid for your phones, and you don't even give us the smaller and easier to carry folding-pin adaptor...sucky and tight.

And no, I don't expect a free lunch, but the extra quid it'd cost them to include it pee's me off just a little bit, when UK price markup's are really rather high.

2. snarlz macrumors 6502

snarlz

Strange how we got it with the Watch but not the flagship phones.

3. jimthing thread starter macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Certainly is. Presume it's a volume issue – they can't make enough for the phone sales or something? But still, annoying.

4. Mr.C macrumors 601

It should really be the standard moving forward on all their iPhones, iPads and Watches.

5. Cuniac, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015

Cuniac macrumors 6502a

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

You make it sound like the folding charger has been around for years. It hasn't. It was introduced with the Apple Watch and my watch came with it as did everyone else's watch as far as I'm aware. I don't know why yours didn't. The folding chargers are not meant for the iPads specifically as they are 5 Watts just like the iPhone chargers. It's entirely conceivable that Apple could offer the 5 Watt chargers with the iPhones. And whilst they may charge iPads slower they certainly will charge them.

7. Cuniac, Sep 15, 2015

Cuniac macrumors 6502a

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Calm down both of you lol.

I think your both getting confused.

The American plugs usually fold down.

This post is about the uk plug. The Apple Watch uk edition came with a nifty folding plug. That is what the op is referring too. The rest of the U.K. Adapters have non folding pins.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

Wrong. They sell a folding plug in the UK that comes with the Apple Watch.

http://www.apple.com/uk/shop/produc...7270bef46a16d0e23ee148d6088cfac5a9064eff541c1

The discussion here is about why they don't include it with the new iPhones.

11. Mr.C macrumors 601

I don't need anyone to tell me to calm down. What I posted made perfect sense. If others are confused it's not my fault.

12. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

I was thinking US iPhone, its my fault for mis-reading the OPs post. My mistake

13. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No what you didn't see was the miscommunication as there was an American assumption. American adapters have folded down for a long time. That is what I was referring to and cleared up ;)

14. Mr.C macrumors 601

Yes I know US adapters can come with fold down pins as I lived there for twelve years. That said it didn't occur to me at first that that's where the confusion came from even though the thread title is clearly labeled UK.

15. pika2000 macrumors 68030

As somebody that have stayed in Singapore (which also uses UK style plug), I share the feeling of the OP.
    Hopefully we will find out for sure once unboxing videos are out (for UK/Singapore versions).

16. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

lol joys of people not reading threat titles properly.

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

The UK ones don't come with a folding pin charger. If you go to the iPhone section on the UK site it clearly states under the "whats in the box" part that it's a standard 5W charger. It may be different in Singapore but I doubt it.

18. Gonky macrumors regular

Gonky

No

19. Azzin macrumors 68040

Is the absence of a folding charger really an issue?

It certainly isn't for me, as I have a 4 x USB port mains charger next to the bed that charges my Watch, iPad & iPhone (via the HiRise dock) overnight.

I also have a spare one of those chargers that lives in my travel bag, along with spare Lightning/Micro USB leads.

I'm not having a dig at anyone that wants the folding style plug, but in reality I'm not sure it's that much of a "loss" these days.

20. JerryCooke macrumors regular

JerryCooke

Ditto, having three separate Apple chargers plugged in is messy, so chances are if you've got a bunch of iStuff, you've got a multiport charger of some kind. I almost never use my folding plug, I've got a 24,000 mAh external pack which I sling in my bag and if I'm going on holiday, chances are I'll just take the multiport, so the wife and I don't have to use a truck load of adapters.

The folding charger is cool, but it probably costs a little more to make and the only reason they put it in the watch boxes was so they could maintain that slim box profile.

21. DeApp1e macrumors 6502

DeApp1e

22. Mr.C macrumors 601

Yes it is. I carry them around when I'm at work or out and about and they store in my back pack much better without digging into other things as the pins fold in and they're more compact.

23. Mr.C macrumors 601

I very much doubt it costs more. If they can include it with the Apple watch they can include it with the iPhone.

24. Azzin, Sep 16, 2015

Azzin macrumors 68040

I think you might just be being a little precious about the space in your backpack.

I think it's unlikely you simply have to have a folding plug as there's no room for anything else.

The plugs I'm talking about are not that much bigger than an Apple plug and they have the advantage of being able to charge 4 devices at one.

image.jpg

25. JerryCooke macrumors regular

JerryCooke

If not in actual material costs, then in time. It's a more complex mechanism than the standard charger, so it follows that it'll take (even if fractionally) longer to produce each one. Looking in terms of producing 10m units for the pre-order period alone (more units than the Watch has sold total, so far, by estimation) and the fact that their stock levels seem far stronger this year, it seems logical that any time saving would be favoured and even if each individual charger takes 10s more to make, that's over 25k man hours. Logically, they're probably machine assembled and so you could have a dozen production pipelines making them, but it's still far more realistic for them to include standard chargers, which they've been making for several generations.

Sure, they could have been making folding ones in preparation for a year or so. I'm sure they could have included them if they wanted to, but from a business perspective, it's probably wasteful for them to do so. UK chargers are pretty small already and it's only current Apple Watch owners who will even realise that folding is an option.