Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
FAO Mods - this is not an advert, just asking for advice specific to the UK as to where the best place to sell is as I'm sure plenty of people have found ways to do it without being scammed.

Looking to sell my base model Space Grey 13" MBP. It's only six weeks old so immaculate as you would expect.

As it's pretty valuable, I'm dubious about selling on eBay - I've had issues in the past with people reverse charging PayPal accounts, claiming items haven't been delivered etc and even with proof of delivery/signature eBay and PayPal tend to side with the buyer or it takes months to get your money back.

I've looked at CeX on the high street - but their cash offer is far too low (£559!). Looking for around £1k which I think is reasonable as it's immaculate, six weeks old, includes all original packaging and original receipt.

For those that have sold their MBPs - where's the best place to get close to what I'm looking for?

Thanks

Last edited:

ascender

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2005
eBay is probably still your best bet due to the large audience. I've sold many Macs on there over the years and have only had a couple of issues, not with scams, but with non-payers.

Downside is obviously the cost if you are looking at 10% final value fee being charged. But the flip side is that you'll probably get a higher selling price, or at least a realistic one.

AVForums have a very active classifieds section and I've sold some Apple stuff without any issues whatsoever - they have their own feedback system in place for sales so its probably just as safe as anywhere else. Obviously remember to use PayPal Goods and Services for stuff.

One problem with forums like that is prices can be skewed a bit on the low side - all it takes is one person to sell a laptop or iPad on the cheap and you then get users with a false idea of values.

Don't rule out Gumtree either -I've bought and sold a couple of Macs on there and you might get a nice quick sale which is hassle free.

Reactions: NewBench

NewBench

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
When you say remember to use PayPal Goods and Services - does this actually offer any protection to me as a seller over a normal PayPal transaction? I've sold things in the past for £300/£400+, buyer paid via PayPal, I posted item with proof of postage/signed for. Had a chargeback - buyer claimed it wasn't delivered (even though there was signature for it). PayPal automatically deducted the money from my PayPal, essentially believing the buyer and left me completely in the dark.

I know I could do cash on collection, but I'm sure eBay make PayPal mandatory as an option so if a buyer wants to collect and pay via PayPal before they can do - which again leaves me open to scammers who claim they didn't receive it when they came to collect it etc, or that it was faulty.

I'll check out AVForums again - haven't been on there for years.

Thanks

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
I've had a good experience with MacBack. They collect the item via DPD and usually pay within a week.
Had over £900 for a 2017 15" MBP. Worth a quote since it's no obligation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.