UK: AppeCare Registration & Ownership

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macsymacker, Dec 7, 2011.

1. macsymacker macrumors member

Good evening everyone,

Person A, who doesn't have an Apple ID calls Apple UK and gets his / her ID created and purchases a MBA using the student ID of a Person B.

This product has never been used and never even been turned on once nor registered online.

My question:
    Can a Person C register this product and the AppleCare plan using his / her own Apple ID and own the computer?

Thank you.

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Is person B the parent/guardian of person A ?

If not then presumably they are not entitled to the discount ?

Is it AppleCare or the 3 year HE warranty ?

AppleCare is linked to the machine and whoever "owns" it will be able to get service.....

The 3 year HE warranty is in the name of Person B and can be transferred to person C by phoning Apple and transferring it over.

Apple audit HE purchases from time to time and will check that Person B is entitled to the discount - if they are not it can get akward

3. macsymacker thread starter macrumors member

Hello,

So the AppleCare is not linked to the machine that it covers but to the person that purchased it?

What about people buying AppleCare plans from the stores or online for others?

Isn't AppleCare linked to the product that it is linked to whilst registering?

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Yes - AppleCare is linked to the machine's serial number - that is what I said.

Since you mentioned students I wondered whether it was the 3 year HE warranty that was involved which is linked to the person who purchased the machine.

If it is the discounted AppleCare (£50 odd) that has to be purchased at the same time as the machine then it will have been registered to person B who is the student. Presumably the invoice will be in Person B's name too.

Person B sells the machine to person C and the warranty can be transferred without a problem.

The fact that the machine has not been turned on is irrelevant since Apple will have already registered the machine at the time of sale - was the sale inshore at an Apple Store ?

5. macsymacker thread starter macrumors member

Hello,

The sale was made on the phone. The invoice and the delivery address are under Person A's name. All they asked for was Person A to provide Person B's student details when convenient.

So now I assume that computer's ownership is linked to the Person A then?

What happens if a Person C registers both the machine and the AppleCare plan using their own Apple ID? Will they become the owner? Does Person A need to do anything? Or shall the machine be registered online (+AppleCare) under Person A's name to not to risk a future warranty claim?

What do you think?

Thank you!

6. alic01 macrumors newbie

When i had my Early 2011 MBP repaired for a faulty headphone jack a few weeks back the guy at the Genius bar obviously tried to sell the benefits of Apple care for continued protection.

At the time he made the comment that if i knew someone who gets student discount get them to buy it as its just registered to the machine serial number. My friend who was with me works for the DWP and they get similar discount to the student rates and he asked if he could buy it on my behalf to which they simply replied 'Yeah'.

I took from that the Apple Care is registered to the machine serial number and who actually pays is irrelevant, you can even buy apple care as a gift apparently.

I think the only stipulation is the registered owner of the machine must attend for servicing but the ownership is transferable along with the warranty as already mentioned so that issue is easily overcome.

7. macsymacker thread starter macrumors member

This has been extremely clarifying. Thank you. So now I guess in the situation I've mentioned, the ownership of the machine and how to transfer the ownership should be the case.

Thank you both for your time.

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

So it was bought from the HE store over the phone ?

Why did they buy AppleCare anyway ? HE warranty is 3 years cover and does not cost anything......

The machine and the AppleCare will be registered in Person A's name - done at the time of sale.

All you have do is get Person A to phone Apple and transfer the "ownership" of the machine to person C. If person C has an Apple ID it is simple and straightforward.

There is no problem in transferring over a student purchase - there is a restriction on only one laptop purchase per (academic ?) year.