UK Apple Retail Store not accepting vouchers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 2bFrank, Apr 19, 2012.

1. 2bFrank macrumors member

Hello All,

I am in the UK and I am having difficulties in redeeming a large amount of apple retail gift vouchers. I recently had my 30th Birthday, and all my family bought me apple gift vouchers so that I can put them towards buying a iPad.

I have 21 Gift Vouchers (Ranging from £30 to £10) and I have £320 in total in vouchers, and I have saved up the remaining £115 (£35 for the cover). When I went into the Apple Store at the Trafford Centre in Manchester (UK) they said I can only redeem 4 Vouchers if I pay by card and 6 if I pay by Cash. The maximum I can get with 6 Vouchers is £140, and I can pay seperately for the cover with 4 vouchers (4 x £10), however that leaves £140 short that I cannot use in vouchers.

The guy at the Apple Store was being quite arsey when I tried to find away round this, but walked away without any success (Would have had to walk away anyways as they didnt have stock). However can anyone see away round this. I had an idea of buying some ipods with the vouchers and returning them the next day, how would Apple give the refund, would it be a single gift voucher or would they give it back in the same vouchers that I used to purchase it.

Any ideas welcome.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd just ask the manager if you can combine vouchers somehow.

3. 2bFrank thread starter macrumors member

Hello,

Thanks for your reply, I asked this but the guy who was serving was being a bit arsey for some reason. He said its store policy and that when I asked to speak to the manager, the assistant when to see him and came back saying the manager agrees that they cannot accept the vouchers other than 6 per transaction.

Its the only time I have ever had a issue at the apple store, they have always been helpful.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

I'd ask to see the manager. People that work the floor in Apple Stores are idiots. Don't listen to them.

6. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

But there is a limit of 6 according to Apple's gift card TOS... haha

7. Kebabselector, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

I'd try the buy and refund method. The worst outcome is you get the same vouchers back.

Wondering if you can buy a bigger value gift card with the smaller ones (I'm expecting this not to work).

You seemed to be pleased by this. wow

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

The manager doesn't have to waive any terms of service in order to consolidate gift cards. Surely you can see that.

9. Herdfan macrumors 6502

Can you go in and buy something else, like an iPod using 6 vouchers. Come back the next day and return it. Perhaps they will give you store credit or a single voucher.

10. 2bFrank thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping to do this, as I would simply buy a few Ipod Nanos and return them, I was wondering if they would refund in one big voucher or would they give you it back in the same vouchers you bought it with, or would they simply refused the refund. I dont want to waste the vouchers if I cannot return the item.

Its a strange method for apple to only accept 6 vouchers a transaction. They did not tell any of my family that they would only accept 6 vouchers per transaction when they bought the voucher, nor can I find any information on the voucher. Its only when someone pointed out the link on this thread that I have seen these conditions.

Every other retailer has accepted loads of vouchers per transaction (e.g. next when buying in the sale & game when I bought my xbox the other year). Apple has always been helpful when Ive bought stuff before. I must have just had a jobsworth of a sales person.

11. davidoloan, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

davidoloan Suspended

There is probably some sensible reason that you can't use many multiple vouchers to stop them being a currency and minimize them being a theft risk. They do sell them in up to £9,999 in a single voucher.

I would ring the online store helpline and give them the details of the individuals who bought each voucher and see what they can do. It would be strange if they hadn't heard this story before and they are generally helpful. Don't suggest ways to get around their rules to them. Let them try to come up with a solution.

Do all your family have the same surname? That would be a good way to back up your story if there is a record of their voucher purchases.

12. hafr macrumors 68030

It because of the theft risk that someone else mentioned. Ask to talk to the store manager, tell your story and see if he listens. If he doesn't, take it higher up. Call the regional office or whatever you need to do. In the end, you will reach someone that realises that the six vouchers limit isn't set in stone.

The floor staff is only there to enforce the rules, but a store manager really should be more flexible in a situation like this. I'm guessing the guy you talked to just told his boss "a guy is here with 21 vouchers, okay or not?" with no background story what so ever.