UK Apple Store Contracts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DrummerBASS, Jun 22, 2010.

1. DrummerBASS macrumors regular

Will Apple (UK) be selling iPhone 4's, on contract - specifically o2, to new customers. I know o2 have made an announcement regarding no new contracts, only upgrades so I'm wondering if this applies to Apple stores too. Also if anyone knows if this is the same with Carphone Warehouse that'd be great too.

Thanks in advance.

2. Alex Hobbs macrumors member

I've been on the phone to Apple quite a bit to make sure I will get a phone come Thursday. The Bristol Cabot Circus store said they had to abide by carrier rules, but would sort out all of the process in store so you didn't need to go to the carrier.

From that, I assume you won't have any luck with O2 when it needs activating. They will support O2, Orange and Vodafone activations in store.

3. DrummerBASS thread starter macrumors regular

So is that a 'yes they will do new contracts' or not? Sorry it's just hard to understand the message :). I've had so many mixed messages, some people telling me that I can't get one on o2, and others saying I can.

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

5. Alex Hobbs macrumors member

As far as O2 contracts are concerned, I don't think you'll be able to get one. Both the Apple store and O2 stores will only allow upgrades, that's the impression I've got anyway, sorry.

6. DrummerBASS thread starter macrumors regular

I hope this still applies to o2 as this page was made before their announcement about existing customers only.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No o2's announcement was for there stores only. Nothing to do with apple. I spoke to them today as I've reserved 2. One for a friend and they will be doing new contracts stock permitting.

8. DrummerBASS thread starter macrumors regular

This is rediculous. Why would apple not do so? So would for example new orange contracts be available in Apple stores?

9. Alex Hobbs macrumors member

Ah there we go then, that may very well be true. But from what I've heard it was only upgrades.

All I know for definite is that Apple WILL be doing new contracts for Vodafone + Orange, might be worth ringing them DrummerBass :)

10. dmwain59 macrumors newbie

Will the phone stay unlocked if it is on contract from applestore?

11. DrummerBASS thread starter macrumors regular

No I don't think so.

And yes, i've got a few phonecalls to make tomorrow!!

12. Alex Hobbs macrumors member

Cool, if you could be real awesome and post back here after you find anything out, that'd be appreciated :)

13. DrummerBASS thread starter macrumors regular

Will do, got this bookmarked.

14. DrummerBASS thread starter macrumors regular

Just got off the phone with Apple, and they will be setting up new contracts with o2 in store, it only applies to o2 shops (the whole existing customers only) because of their stock shortages.

Am yet to speak to CPWH.

15. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

Did they mention Vodafone? I called them and they still don't know and told me to register my interest online! Doh!

The Apple store I'm going to said yes the other day, but have not been answering the phone in the last few days :-/

How the hell can vodafone not know? This is putting me off joining them, though all the networks are pretty clueless.

16. macgeof macrumors member

I don't think there's a definitive answer to this one. I'm on O2 ans have one reserved at Sheffield Apple Store for tomorrow. Went into the store the other day and asked this exact question, the bloke went 'out back' to check and came back saying that Apple doesn't actually know the answer, but his gut feeling was it will become locked to O2 once you activate.

Not satisfied with his answer (as I don't want it to be locked! ;) ) I later phoned O2 CS on my iPhone and asked again. She explicitly stated, no it will not get locked to O2. I confirmed this again by checking that I can just swap in any SIM I like - mainly for travelling - and she again said yes.

HTH

17. JamesHP macrumors regular

Arndale store says they will be doing them for VF mate, it's in my interests too :p

18. Gamst macrumors regular

Gamst

Nice one mate :) What time you getting there? Will everyone be queuing by the birdcage? Pity Tiger Tiger isn't 24 hour, could have a beer while I wait! :)