UK Apple store is down, incoming price hikes! (VAT increase)

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by yetanotherdave, Jan 3, 2011.

1. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Looks like we are getting the VAT increase right on time on the UK apple store.
    Will we see 2.5% increase or maybe more?
    Before prices for comparison
    [​IMG]

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

3. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Spain store is down too. As tax (IVA) is Spain has not gone up they had better not increase the prices here.

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Shame really, puts me off buying anything expensive until it goes down (not just computers). Can't see how this is going to help anything.

Pretty sure this thread will end up in PRSI.

Me too mate, me too.

5. Droid13 macrumors regular

Hadn't thought of that...

Blast! I was hoping for some sort of update announcement and foolishly started a new thread about it:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=11659934

Would be nice if the price difference was just absorbed. Just some more wishful thinking.

6. chas0001 macrumors 6502a

chas0001

Looks like the only people able to buy Mac's will be the investment bankers.

7. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

In theory, it's £25 per £1000 item cost, not too bad. In fact, it's only 2.5%.
    I wouldn't hold your breath waiting for it to go down. Cameron slammed VAT as a regressive tax and not being in line with a fair society, therefore there is no chance he'll bring it back down. Maybe Labour will if they get in, but you'll be waiting about 5 years for that.

Why? It's about the apple store prices...

8. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

This is why the thread would end up in PRSI, it's a topic that's surrounded by politics.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Here we go... ANOTHER political debate. Hope you have your sources ready...

10. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

It isn't even that bad.

That £1000 item is really already a £1175 item, going up to £1200.

It's only a 2% increase in cost to the buyer.

11. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Only. :rolleyes:

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's the frustrating part...

13. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I'd happily turn back the clock and unelect these fools, but we have to make the best out of the situation we find ourselves in!

14. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Implying that voting means anything and is not just a meaningless pass of power between two parties every 5 or 10 years. Same as the US.

Implying we live in an actual democracy.

15. yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Can we all just agree that all three of the main political parties have proven themselves unfit and incapable of governing effectively with the needs and wants of the people as their priority, realise that democracy is a sham and capatilism is a failed experiment, and start playing the "guess how much extra apple is going to gouge us for" game? :p

16. yetanotherdave, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

yetanotherdave thread starter macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Well, it looks like it's back online, the only change I can see is the free delivery threshold has gone from £79 to £80, all other prices appear to have remained the same! (for the time being anyway)

EDIT
    individual product pages have the new prices, apple seem to have stuck to the nearest pounf on 2.5%. The £999 macbook pro,is now £1020, apple tv was £99, now £101.

No where near as bad as it could have been!

17. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Ah well.. To look on the bright side, the MB and MBP's are due for update soon, and I believe the pound has strengthened against the dollar since the last update. $999 into pounds, plus 20% VAT, is about £780. So come the update, we'll hopefully see the prices reset to what they were (£849 for the MacBook, £999 for the Pro, maybe a bit less if we're lucky). You have to bare in mind that higher cost of overheads etc. means there will always be price discrepancy between the UK and US.

18. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Unfortunately we had our price corrections when the MBA came out. The pound hasn't changed significantly since then.

19. nick9191 macrumors 68040

Ah but the MacBook Air was not updated in April alongside the MacBook and MacBook Pro. The last update before the current release was WWDC 2009! When the pound was worth far more. So the price changed from the June 09 exchange rate to the October 10 rate. Whereas with the MacBook/Pro we're coming from the April 10 rate which is weaker than current :)

20. firestarter, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011

firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I'm not sure where I can get the figures from to prove it... but I know for sure that the Mac Mini price was dropped and some of the iPad prices were adjusted when the MBA came out.

So there WAS a cross-store price adjustment, which didn't tie in with updates to the items having their prices adjusted. I think the MBP was adjusted down at that point. I'm happy to be proved wrong though - if there's anywhere that tracks and documents these things!

Apple does adjust price points outside of product updates, you know!

21. Droid13 macrumors regular

Buyer's guide covers stuff like that - Mac Mini drop is documented at least for 02/NOV/2010:
    http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_mini