Uk Apple Store support question

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stardustsa2012, Sep 21, 2011.

1. stardustsa2012 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have a booked visit to the apple store tommorrow for a "Genius" to look at my ipad problem - "No Sim" message has appeared - just purchased a new sim, re-installed the ipad but still i get "No Sim"!

My questions are -

I have tried everything in the book - unless the genius has some amazing trick to get it working, From anyone with experience what would they do? take it to get fixed or replace it? if they replace do i get a new one or fefurb?

Secondly, anyone had this problem before ?

Cheers
    Steve

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

They will check the last time you done a full restore not from a backup if it's recent they will swap for an oem brown box unit. If u havnt they will either restore it if they have time and go from there

3. stardustsa2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for reply.
    I have done a full restore of the system and still no luck.

My only worry is that the hole for the sim card is fairly worn from me poking it around 50 times taking the sim card in and out and in and out etc trying to get the bloody thing working.
    Not my fault - apple should make the hole more user friendly.

So is a brown oem box "brand new" ?

4. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

Yes, it is new.

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

In the US, brown boxes are not guaranteed to be brand new. I thought it was the same world-wide, but you folks in the UK seem to have some crazy warranty rights, so who knows. IIRC, Apple's being sued in Korea or Singapore about this policy.

If they're not brand new (i.e. refurbed), the refurb comes with a brand new battery and a brand new exterior shell. Physically looking at it, you shouldn't be able to tell it's not brand new.

Regardless of if it is brand new or refurbed, it's going to come shrink wrapped inside of the brown box.

6. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

I stand corrected.

7. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Yes they are generally referbs but they are as good as new!

Op don't worry about the sim slot slot of people have trouble with it, it's a piss poor design.

As for apple being sued that is no longer the case they have changed there policy in those countries so for the first 90 days they get swapped out for a new boxed unit after that they get a referb like everyone else.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

Thanks for the update!

9. stardustsa2012 thread starter macrumors newbie

Took it back today, the Genius chap swapped it out for a brown box model, no problem at all. I asked if i could swap it for a white one (fancied a change) - This was a definite No No...
    Great Service from Apple, a bit annoying having to drive 35 mile to the nearest apple store but being met by good, friendly, proffesional service was def worth it.

Thanks for the comments and re-assuring that all would be well :) cheers