UK Apple wireless keyboard

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rushmere, Sep 19, 2008.

1. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

Just got a new aluminium wireless keyboard, only to find that the '3' key has a hash symbol instead of '£' on it.

Have I got the wrong version for the UK, or are they all like this?

2. nokiauk macrumors member

Where did you buy it from?

The English Uk keyboard should have the £ symbol but the English International has the #.

Attachment is the pic from the English keyboard on the UK Apple Store and it has the £.

Attached Files:

3. rushmere thread starter macrumors 6502

rushmere

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't thought of looking at the images on the UK Apple Store. Doh! :D

It's neither English nor English International - it looks like the US version (with a small return key).

I got it for about £30 from a local retailer - now I know why it was so cheap! It's not a huge problem though, I guess I can live with it. I'm just amazed at how small it is!

4. rsd macrumors member

rsd

Sorry slightly off topic i know, but its about the keyboard, do you not find it too small?? i almost got one myself but got the wired one cos it was full sized.

5. rushmere thread starter macrumors 6502

rushmere

I'm not sure - I need to use it for a while to make my mind up!

It is a LOT smaller than I was expecting. I'll be getting a new iMac when the next revision comes out, and I'll get the standard wired keyboard with that, so then I can try them both side by side and decide which one to stick with!

6. rsd macrumors member

rsd

It is CRAZY small, i went to the store with full intention to buy the wireless one, but when they got me one from the back and i saw it i was shocked! i thing the only thing that puts me off is the size of the arrow keys.

but i do miss not having the wire :(

7. polar-blair macrumors regular

What thats weird! You should get a £ symbol on the 3 key. actually wait a minute where the hell is my hash key :mad: aghhhh where is it.........it gone. I've never noticed that before the new wireless keyboards (the real uk version) doesnt have a hash key, whats up with that!!!!

8. rushmere thread starter macrumors 6502

rushmere

You need to press alt-3 to get a hash :D

I do get a £ symbol when I hit shift-3, it's just not printed on the keyboard because it's the US version. It has a hash printed instead!

9. scherma macrumors newbie

Wireless Keyboard

I agree. The keys are so nearly flush with the keyboard's surface and lie so close together that tactile discrimination is impaired and working with the thing feels cramped. The short travel of the keys makes for more typos as one tries to feel their way around the keyboard. Why has Apple chosen to go this route? My guess is that buck-toothed, cross-eyed engineer types got it into their heads that smaller, smaller, and even smaller is "really rad," "ultra wicked," "awesome," "way cool!" Well, they're wrong. There was nothing wrong with their original keyboard; it wasn't broke - but they just couldn't resist "fixing" it.:mad:

10. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

sorry i know this is slightly off topic but it is about the UK keyboard...how do you do a print screen on a mac? I'm using a MBP (used to be a PC user and the PC keyboards have a 'Prt Scr' button)

11. coopermac macrumors member

My wireless keyboard definitely has the £ sign. The keyboard itself is the same size as the MBP, so if you can use that you should be ok with it.

I use mine for my MacMini, which is sat under the TV, it's ideal for that and I find it better than using screen share on the MBP.