Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

benssson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
London
Grrr......I was expecting the UK Back to School promo to start on the August 1st - and it still hasn't started! what's the delay??

Are Apple postponing it until after the August 7th mac announcements??

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Well if you know for sure that Apple are having such a scheme this year, you know more than anyone else here!

benssson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
London
Like life, it's hard to know anything for sure.

what I can do is look at history though - Apple have consistently offered the Back to School promo in Europe after it has started in the US/Canada. They always start the offer a couple of weeks after European schools break for summer (eg late July in 2005, August 1st in 2006).

Their "Study. Play. Save." promo (for financing) was due to finish in July 31st - another good sign that August 1st was the start of the Back to School promo. In fact, they haven't taken down or updated the "Study. Play. Save." promo as it's still on their site even though its expired.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
Sorry, couldn't help but be a little facetious there! :p

It could well be there's a good reason for a slight delay as you suggest. I've seen this been discussed very recently on other forums, but nothing that's worth repeating - if I do see anything of interest, I'll post it here.

benssson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
London
yeh, sorry for being terse - being waiting ages for the Back to School promo. I'm just getting more anxious by the day!

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Depending on the school, school can start as early as the middle of August in the U.S. When does school generally start in the UK?

benssson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
London
Secondary school (high school) usually start their autumn(fall) term in late September and universities usually start in early October.

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Secondary school (high school) usually start their autumn(fall) term in late September and universities usually start in early October.

As I recall, the back to school promotion in the UK has always started later in the UK than in the US. I think you have just explained why. Be Patient.

ac-mac

macrumors member
Apr 9, 2007
England

That is only in London I think, because over here, West Midlands, school starts early september.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Well in Watford, end of the met line so could be considered greater london, School starts the first week of September and my uni starts on the 6th of October.

Igantius

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2007
As I recall, the back to school promotion in the UK has always started later in the UK than in the US. I think you have just explained why. Be Patient.
Rather than rely on your own memory, you could scroll up :p

what I can do is look at history though - Apple have consistently offered the Back to School promo in Europe after it has started in the US/Canada. They always start the offer a couple of weeks after European schools break for summer (eg late July in 2005, August 1st in 2006).

BBC B 32k

macrumors 6502
Aug 5, 2005
London
Watford? London? well Chesham is on the met line so London must be bigger than Rio! :D:

Here in London (Pinner :p) school starts first week of Sept. but the private schools get longer holidays.

Back to school promo will not start until the new iMacs are out on Aug 7th. The product codes must be in the small print.

benssson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
London

yep - sorry, meant to say Secondary school (high school) usually start their autumn(fall) term in EARLY September.

Back to school promo will not start until the new iMacs are out on Aug 7th. The product codes must be in the small print.

definatley agree...

been wanting to get my gf a macbook for her birthday on the 9th August. won't make it in time now :( I just want to play with her new toy!!

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
been wanting to get my gf a macbook for her birthday on the 9th August. won't make it in time now :( I just want to play with her new toy!!

What is they start the back to school program on the 8th, can't you get the back to school promo in store?

benssson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
London
What is they start the back to school program on the 8th, can't you get the back to school promo in store?

i hear you don't get the full 3 year extended educational warranty thing on macs bough in store. otherwise that is a good idea.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
i hear you don't get the full 3 year extended educational warranty thing on macs bough in store. otherwise that is a good idea.

My housemate bought his iMac in store and he got an email about a month later confirming that he got the 3 year extended educational warranty. Can always ask them before you buy.

benssson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
London
My housemate bought his iMac in store and he got an email about a month later confirming that he got the 3 year extended educational warranty. Can always ask them before you buy.

that's cool. I think I'll pop round the apple store in the morning (we've both got the day off work) and get it before she wakes up.

thanks for that....less stressed now :D

Sulis

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2006
So...it's now the 15th of August and still no UK Back to School.......does this mean it isn't happening this year do you think? Considering I'm about to start uni and could finally make use of it, that sucks.

Maccleduff

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Has anyone contacted Apple to find out what the delay is? I sure hope they do it this year, Im looking to buy a mac soon .....:)

benssson

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
London
Has anyone contacted Apple to find out what the delay is? I sure hope they do it this year, Im looking to buy a mac soon .....:)

been hearing around generally from here and places like http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk that rep's are saying the last week of august. so, I'm thinking they'll start it on the 27th/28th. anybody with any more info? seems incredibly late for a back to school promo

very irritating!

bowdeni

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2005
Any updates on this? I'm one of many also waiting. Come on Apple, please run it this year!!

bowdeni

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2005
Ok, I've got an update. I've been talking to a fair few reps over the past days, none of which gave me any information until the one I spoke to just now.

I'd firstly ask if apple were running the promotion, to which the reply was that 'no official announcement had been made'. I'd then always ask 'When can I expect such an announcement to be made?' and the reply would always be 'I do not have such information'.

However! With the last rep, she told me to defiantely check the site next month (September). So looks like it'll be running from September the 1st this year.

Still, it's not confirmed but that is as close as anyone is going to get.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.