UK - Backlight Bleed Thread

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Piggie, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Piggie, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

I would like to know if the UK models are perhaps a later batch, or from a different factory than the early USA models.

Could UK Owners, when they get home with their new purchases give their opinions here, so we can see how these, possibly slightly later models compare for the backlight bleeding issue against the other threads which are naturally the very early US models.

Will be interesting to see/hear if there is any difference.

2. woodsy macrumors newbie

Yep, I have backlight bleed on my 32gb wifi black.
    Model A1395
    It's in the usual place too, just to the right of the home button.

Is there a solution? Does it fade after a few days or do I return it to Apple?

3. Piggie thread starter macrumors 604

Piggie

Thanks for being honest about it.

Strange why that spot seems to be a common one. Hopefully if other UK people post here, we can get a picture of how our later models fair against the US models launched 2 weeks ago.

4. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

Got a little bit at the bottom, home button on right, landscape mode.

But really, it's nothing, and certainly won't be sending it back :D

5. MBPLurker macrumors member

Yep, my tiny bit of bleed is in that exact same spot. Only noticeable during the black reboot screen or bordered video with brightness up high. I was annoyed at first but haven't given it a thought for 2 weeks now. I don't know if it's better than it was or if my eyes have gotten used to it but it barely registers now on black screens. Since everything else is perfect on it I'm not going to bother testing my luck on another.

6. jacktorrance macrumors regular

I have backlight bleed on my WiFi 32gb Black. It's quite extensive. I'll be returning it but only when there is stock to replace it.

7. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

See how it goes with the backlight bleed folks. There are numerous reports to say it clears up after use.....

8. biscuitdunker macrumors newbie

Disappointed

I have just returned from seven hours queuing at Glasgow apple store to find 2 dead pixels, dust under screen and extensive backlight problems, the issues are real and the two people I was with in the queue have reported the same issues to me, genius bar appointment booked tomorrow, see what happens! Been an apple user for years and the bigger the company gets the more quality control issues I am having.

9. jacktorrance macrumors regular

It would be useful to see how you get on if you have the time to post a follow up.

10. biscuitdunker macrumors newbie

will do, not looking forward to visiting the genius bar so soon after purchase:eek:, not an overly fussy person but the issues are quite bad really especially after shell out £600:(

11. jacktorrance macrumors regular

Completely understand. I won't be keeping this unit if the bleeding is still there in a week.

12. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

I picked mine up today White 32gig 3G and noticed the the light bleed the min it started up! Will wait a bit to see how it pans out then if no improvement def getting it changed.

13. Justin Luck macrumors regular

I sure hope Samsung is taking the time to avoid all of these QC problems in their upcoming tabs.

14. mvp2206 macrumors regular

mvp2206

After a good 4 hours of queueing, I finally picked up an iPad 2 - 64gb Black Wifi. Unfortunately it suffers from the backlight bleed + has a dead pixel :-(

I have attached a picture to show the issue + u can just about make out the pixel. The brightness was only at 50%

I am going back to Apple tomorrow to see if it can be replaced, but if the replacement has a fault I think I will have to get a refund and try again in a few weeks when the issue may (hopefully) have been sorted. Not the end of the world, but still a tad annoying!

Attached Files:

15. PDE macrumors 68020

I hate to say it, but apple (and all PC manufacturers) has always had quality control problems. Almost every single laptop model going back to the Powerbook 150 in the mid-90s has been plagued with some sort of quality control or design problem. In fact, I'd say that most models of all their products has had one problem or another that can be attributed to poor quality control. Apple is usually good at taking care of customers who have issues though, so that's to their credit.

Based on a completely unscientific 'feel' over the past few years, I would even say that Apple quality has improved and is more consistent than it used to be..

just my two cents.

16. adamtj11 macrumors 6502

Yup got mine in Ireland has 5 spots of backlight bleeding, only can see it when black screen, doesn't really bother me

17. fifi77 macrumors regular

Yep, I also have backlight bleeding and it's what I'd class as fairly severe. Not acceptable to me since I mostly use dark backgrounds and it would be very annoying when watching videos that have black bands. I will exchange it in a week or so, but I have a feeling all early models are going to have this problem.

18. Kaulitz macrumors member

My White 32Gb wifi has three spot of backlight bleeding. I did check it in store, after seven hours of queuing I didn't want a faulty unit.
    I didn't notice in the store even after turning the brightness to full. It's not noticeable in ambient light, I will live with it I can live with it. Dead pixels and dust would make it a different story.

19. iWannaBeAdored macrumors 6502

iWannaBeAdored

+1

Doesn't bother me though. If it doesn't get better within a few weeks I'll try and get a replacement from Apple.

20. Project macrumors 68020

Yep, a small amount to the right of the home button. not noticeable in normal use but I will see how it goes before deciding whether to keep it or not.

21. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Mine has slight issues but im not to bothered if it bothers me I will go to a genius bar.

22. jacktorrance macrumors regular

Exchanged my 32gb Black WiFi this morning (though the store is telling new customers that they don't have any more stock) but the second unit also has bleeding that will be distracting in low-light situations, particularly when watching movies.

Think I'm going to have to return this unit also.

23. biscuitdunker macrumors newbie

returned and refunded

:eek:
    returned for a genius bar appointment this afternoon at glasgow applestore to exchange my 32gb 3g, they brought out another new ipad2 which had even worse bleeding than the first and then finally a third which was bad as well, by this point i had seen enough and got a full refund, wish i hadnt sold my ipad1, it had screen issues but not to this extent. Funnily enough there were a couple of people waiting at the genius bar for the same reason i was there, oh well looking forward to ipad3;):apple:

24. offcamber macrumors 6502

offcamber

As a customer in the States I was quite interested in what the panel quality would be on this UK rollout. Looks as if the same early stock is being shipped or that Foxconn or whomever is manufacturing these panels can't/won't fix the issue.
    The bottom line is that the light leaks can be rectified during manufacturing but someone has decided that this flaw is acceptable. To what degree this issue extends is yet to be known but it's now confirmed in the US and UK shipments.

25. jafingi macrumors 65816

jafingi

Sorry I'm hijackhing the thread (as I'm not from the UK). However, I'm from Denmark, and the iPad 2 was released here yesterday too.

My does bleed a lot in the lower left corner.. It's not really annoying me, as I almost never watch movies or sees black things on it. However, I'm not sure if it's worse than anybody else's bleed.

Here's a picture taken at full brightness in the tab view of Safari (where the background is black). It is taken in a bright room, and the sun shines outside. Yet, I can still clearly see the bleed:

[​IMG]

Should I get a replacement? Or should I maybe wait a few weeks until Apple (maybe) fixes it, and then request a replacement?