UK banking and financial app Face ID status

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BSben, Nov 8, 2017.

1. BSben macrumors 65816

As I do most of my banking on my iPhone I am just in the (painful) process of starting for the first time, since my first iPhone of starting from scratch. It involves hours (days) of password finding etc. I was wondering if anybody has been through he process of migrating to iPhone X and realised that their banking/financial app does or doesn't support Face ID.

2. mrwilly25 macrumors member

Many bank apps already supports Face ID, you need to go in the settings to enable if it doesn't automatically switch from Touch ID to Face ID.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Most banking apps support Touch ID. If it supports Touch ID then it supports Face ID.

4. BSben thread starter macrumors 65816

That is not always the case.

5. dallardice macrumors regular

I am using Amex, FirstDirect, Lloyds (credit card), Barlcaycard, Tesco Bank, Monzo, Curve, Starling, HSBC Business Banking... all use Face ID in place of Touch ID.

6. Olivia23 macrumors 6502a

Olivia23

My banking app in the US supported touch ID but not face ID.

7. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

It is if the developers of the banking app followed best practices instead of going out of their way to not use BiometricKit.

If they use the API, it just works.

8. scottish macrumors 6502a

I’m using Royal Bank of Scotland, Nationwide, Tesco Bank, TSB and Bank of Scotland and all are working with Face ID.

9. BulkSlash macrumors regular

BulkSlash

I’m with Barclays and can confirm the app works with Face ID. I think as far as the app is concerned it still thinks it’s using Touch ID, I’ve got several apps that say they’re checking my fingerprint but then trigger a Face ID authentication.

I’ve sadly never had a project that needs the biometric APIs but I would assume they just ask iOS to prove the user is who they say they are and it doesn’t allow the app to only accept Touch ID or Face ID. That said, at the moment if you detect the screen resolution you can easily work out if it’s a X or something else...

10. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

11. Blondie&Dagwood macrumors 6502

Blondie&Dagwood

deleted - this is a UK thread - my bad