UK Bargain Alert !

mrfrosty

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2005
Hi,

Just to let you all know Toys R Us are selling off Mac Mini Core Solo's off for £299. The are on http://www.toysrus.co.uk and in the stores. I popped out last night and picked one up. I also have G5 imac Rev C........So far i think the mac mini is a touch faster for surfin / email e.t.c which is very much of a nice suprise !!

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors 601
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
mrfrosty said:
Hi,

Just to let you all know Toys R Us are selling off Mac Mini Core Solo's off for £299. The are on http://www.toysrus.co.uk and in the stores. I popped out last night and picked one up. I also have G5 imac Rev C........So far i think the mac mini is a touch faster for surfin / email e.t.c which is very much of a nice suprise !!
Wow! Good find! You could probably get a decent Core 2 Duo chip for about £100 giving you a machine for £399 (the cost of the Core Duo from Apple) which has much better performance! Nice.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Good find mate, I am seriously tempted to pick one up as a second computer, with the remote bundled they make for a great little media box,

SHadoW

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Just ordered one. I've been planning on buying my neices a Mini between them for Christmas and this is absolutely perfect for them (and my wallet!). Thank you very much MrFrosty.

Sean :)

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
Ughhh MY GOD!!!
I like just bought a ipod nano and got loads of accesiors, if i hadnt of done so, I would be on my way to owning my first ever mac

edit: Anyone want to lend me £299?
And also how long will this be up there for? anyone know?

®îçhå®?

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2006
Ive been looking for one just as a media box to store DVDs, CDs etc on so i am tempted. Nice find.

BoyBach

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2006
UK
speakerwizard said:
for some reason i want to buy this even though i have no need for it lol

I've got that feeling too...

Must. Resist. Temptation.

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
You're basically saving VAT. Is that really worth getting excited over for something that's basically obsolete? I don't mean to be a bummer but you know, just wondering out aloud.

MacSA

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2003
UK
Apple are selling refurbished versions of the Core Solo Mini for £309 so thats a good price really.

Pressure

macrumors 601
May 30, 2006
Denmark
Sesshi said:
You're basically saving VAT. Is that really worth getting excited over for something that's basically obsolete? I don't mean to be a bummer but you know, just wondering out aloud.
Obsolete?

I beg to differ. The Core Solo Mini is still performing as good as when it was released and should be enough for what normal people would use the Mac Mini for (browsing, email, light photo-editing and video-editing as well).

The cheapest Mac Mini is selling for £424 (granted, the updated Mac Mini with Core Duo) in Denmark, so I find it an exceptional bargain.

What makes it obsolete in your eyes? Because something faster out there exist? If that's the case, shouldn't every computer sans the Mac Pro be obsolete? ;)

That's a nice computer in a small package and still better than what the majority of users actually have!

seanf

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2006
UK
Sesshi said:
You're basically saving VAT
No, I'm saving VAT plus £31 (based on Apple's cheapest Mini) on a computer that will more than suit the needs of the people I'm buying it for. If this offer doesn't suit you then that's fine, there's no reason to criticize others.

Sean :)

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
I want this as a computer to connect to my TV and stream movies wirelessly from my Mac Pro. Will the core solo mini with 512MB RAM be suitable for this?

MacBoobsPro

macrumors 603
Jan 10, 2006
Quick... somone justify why I need one when I have a PMG5 and a MB!!! :eek:

Keep it short, im driving there now! :D

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
Dang, it does seem they're all gone.

Phew, saved myself from fighting temptation!

To the people using them as media servers, do they really make good media servers? They only have s-video out, which isn't all that good.

I currently use an x-box with XBMC as a media server, only cost me £70 last month with everything installed, and it has HDMI output. (runs media off my G3 powermac server in the attic.)

Has anyone seen macbooks in the Apple UK refurb, and what discount is normal on them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.