Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coldsweat

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Just about fed up with my 123-reg VPS & continual crashes & freezes, can anyone recommend a (ideally UK based) VPS host??

thoughton

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2013
I use and highly recommend VPSes from Nu Blue and Future Hosting. Nu Blue probably has better support (although FH support is still good).

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Vidahost gets my vote, been using since 2010 and reliability and support has been amazing. They designed and built their own data centre a few years back with their offices in the same building which is cool, so they can manage everything in house quickly: https://www.vidahost.com/data-centre

I have only used their shared and cloud hosting for smaller projects but been more than impressed with them. They are constantly upgrading hardware even on shared hosting with no downtime. They have been so much better than any other hosting company I have used in the past.

As with all hosting companies check out reviews before jumping in: https://www.trustpilot.com/review/www.vidahost.com

They also have plenty of discount codes posted around the net including "DISCOUNT10" which gets you 10% off all hosting packages I believe.

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
DigitalOcean have servers in London and I've had pretty good services from them. Very cheap and reliability is good.
I second Digital Ocean, unlimited options, well priced and top notch customer service. Creating Droplets gives a plethora of so many options, I use it on NodeJS projects as it does exactly what I need and doesn't burn a hole in your pocket.

MonsterUniverse

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2015
Hi coldsweat,

Are you looking for Linux or Windows? For linux, you can check out DigitalOcean, they are cheap but you need to manage your own server. For windows, check out ukwindowshostasp.net or hostforlife.eu. They both have UK data center. Hostforlife.eu have good reviews in windows, you can find their services on Microsoft site

Osty

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Melbourne, AU
Another vote for DigitalOcean - they are great VPS service for the money. I've had Ubuntu 14.04 droplets running for nearly 2 years without problems.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2009
I'd definitely vouch for DigitalOcean, which are based in the US with a data centre in London. They are pretty good - I have a VM with them. You can create and destroy VMs with just a few clicks which makes provisioning really easy

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.