UK-based web hosting...recommendations?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by jSunbeam, Apr 17, 2008.

1. jSunbeam macrumors regular

Hello one and all. I'm looking to buy some web space to host my portfolio as well as other people's sites.

I'd probably want it to be linux/unix hosting (mac is fine as well, but that doesn't seem as common!), with support for all the usual stuff (PHP, MySQL etc). Support for Ruby on Rails would be a plus too, as I'm thinking of delving into all that.

Not sure if I've given enough info here - although i've been doing web dev for a good few years i've always been working for someone else so never really felt the need to purchase my own hosting!

So, any recommendations? Anyone use http://www.tsohost.co.uk ?

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

ASmallOrange does all of the above including Ruby, except they aren't UK based.

3. HaGG macrumors member

Why UK based? Our connections to the US are amazing.

4. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

i was looking at CWCS.co.uk but think i will go for mediatemple.net

5. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Indeed! More storage, bandwidth and you get to pay in Dollars! Woo Hoo!

I host my UK sites Stateside....be aware though that some companies have a UK sister site and force you to use their tariffs *shakes fist*

I personally use HostMonster and have very been happy with the service I've got with them over the last year or so

6. jSunbeam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies guys! I guess I only specified uk-based because i thought it would be easier. Everyone is recommending US-based stuff...Will check it out!

Was thinking of mediatemple but why no mysql 5?

7. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

I found mediatemple to be a pain in the arse, and UK based hosts have always been overpriced.

8. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

OK, if you are willing to go outside of the UK (which shouldn't be a problem) ASmallOrange is fantastic.

9. beardboy macrumors regular

beardboy

www.ezpzhosting.co.uk are fantastic! Just got mine hosted with them and went for the Master Package. Setup was a doddle and Daniel there is very helpful if you have any questions.

Tell him i sent you, if you go for him :)