UK: Best time to sell and upgrade 2010 MBA

jahman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
130
1
UK
I bought a 2010 MBA 2.13GHz Core 2 Duo with 256GB SSD and 3 years AppleCare on Black Friday that year. Total cost then was £1776 including AppleCare. So, I am thinking that I will try and sell it around Black Friday this year and upgrade to the new MBA. I'm a little disappointed that there's no Retina display though!

I saw an identically priced machine in the refurb section of apple.com/uk a few weeks ago selling for £1050 or so which seemed like quite a lot. Obviously, mine will still have a year of AppleCare to go and the value of the machine will have dropped some more since the new machine came out. I was thinking of a price around £900 beforehand but not so sure now. It's almost cosmetically perfect although there is one small nick out of it which is fairly hard to spot.

This is my first Apple laptop for a long time and I am working on the basis that upgrading every two years and selling with one year's AppleCare is fairly optimal from the point of view of having a fairly recent machine and getting a good resale price. Unfortunately, I think the Core 2 Duo is a tad dated now although, of course, it's still a very serviceable machine for web browsing, etc. on the move.

Then again, I could keep it for another year and wait and see if a retina MBA makes an appearance then;). Decisions, decisions.
 

jahman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
130
1
UK
Yup. Was hoping to get at least that much. We'll see. If I get £800, I'll need to put in nearly £1k for the new machine. Ouch!
 
Comment

Similar threads

Replies
1
Views
326
Replies
17
Views
979
  • jonypaul
5
Replies
5
Views
391
Replies
1
Views
566
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.