UK BT Mail Users - anybody had problems on 8.1.2?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by KeepCalmPeople, Jan 4, 2015.

1. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Pretty specific, but I thought I'd ask...

My parents in the UK use British Telecom (BT) for their ISP and have a @btinternet.com email address they use.
    After updating from iOS8.1.1 to iOS8.1.2, only one of their four iOS devices (an iPhone 5S) can still connect and read new emails. The other devices just say they've updated the Inbox but nothing shows.
    They've talked to BT tech support and made no progress. I and they are are trying to avoid a complete wipe/restore to try to fix it.

Anyone else seen this?

2. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hi

I use BtMail on that ios on the iP6+ with none of the issues you list.

In fact the only niggle I have is the push intervals being the shortest at 15 minutes #

You could try deleting the email account off the iPhone and try re inputting it making sure imap option is chosen ?

Also try looking in the settings through Bt's login account page to see if something needs tweaking.

IMAP is supposed to be the best option.

3. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Thanks for the response bandofbrothers.

My father went to a 3rd party Apple Retailer in Cheltenham to talk to them about the problem, and was told that:
    'BT Mail has always had a problem with handling multiple iOS devices with one email account, Yahoo has the same problem too. It is nothing to do with iOS 8. We tell our customers to change to another email provider when they have this problem'.

What a load of rubbish!

4. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

Hmmm I agree - rubbish #

As you probably know Bt used Yahoo a pop3 set up until recently and I use my mba , iPad air and iPhone, with all the same e mail address. The only issue I had with yahoo is sometimes I was asked to input the password but I know it was correct and just dismissed the pop up. Apparantly they didn't like playing together.

Since Bt dropped Yahoo and migrated me to their own Bt Mail which is IMAP ive had no further sign in issues

All mail comes in with no Issues.

I use Hotmail with no issues either.

Have you tried deleting the email account and re inputting and checking the settings in your Bt Account ?

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

I'm not sure if they'll help but these are screen grabs of my settings.

Attached Files:

6. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

And another.

Attached Files:

7. KeepCalmPeople thread starter macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

Thanks again bandofbrothers - I know they have tried deleting the account from their iPads and setting it up again, to no avail. I'll see if your settings might help.

I've suggested to both my parents that they transition to using gmail accounts, as in my experience gmail has caused the fewest problems (fewer than Yahoo at least), and is ISP-independent.

8. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

No worries.

Good call ref GMail.

Unfortunately for me I use my primary email address in lots of places so I'm relieved it works as it should.