[UK] Buy Sim-Free 4S in store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mcmul, Oct 8, 2011.

1. mcmul macrumors 6502

On Friday I plan to queue up at Liverpool ONE and get the new iPhone 4S.

On the website, they seem to enthusiastically talk about 'upgrades' and network carriers... you can buy the phone sim free i.e. without contract, right??

2. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

And you're absolutely certain? There will be hell if I send my girlfriend at 6am in the morning and she doesn't get one for both of us, haha.

3. crunkcrumpet macrumors member

Yes.

Out of interest what time are you thinking about getting there? I'd be waiting there too, but I'm going to either O2 or Carphone in L1, can't decide which yet though.

4. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Yep

Will start at £499 for the lowest model

5. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

100% Yes

You can buy SIm free, that's what I will be doing.

6. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Guessing the micro sim is still the same so if you have the 4 you can just slot it into the new phone.

7. Mr.C macrumors 601

Yes.

8. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I've not been to any Apple stores on a day of release before. I was thinking about 6-7am? Store opens at 8am. You're definitely not allowed to camp in L1 so I'm not sure. What do you think?

9. Xenc macrumors 6502a

Xenc

There might be a queue outside of the building. I think you should be alright.

10. crunkcrumpet macrumors member

My friend waited outside the Apple Store in L1 for the iPad 2 for a ridiculous amount of hours (over 12), and was first in the queue aha! Last year I got to the O2 shop in Aintree at around 5:30AM, and there were people in front of me then. May venture in at around 4AM...don't know if that's wise though... :/

11. Onimusha370 macrumors 6502a

I'm hoping to get to the Leicester store for about 4:30AM. I'm hoping that's early enough to gaurenty getting a 4S. any of you guys had experience of this before? I'd love to set out a bit later if I could :)

12. mcmul thread starter macrumors 6502

I imagine they'll have a good few hundred in L1 and they allow what, 2 iPhones per person usually? I can't imagine more than a hundred people being there before 6-7am? Or am I deadly wrong? lol

13. chaithubtech macrumors newbie

Lets see

I am planning to come Leicester store around 6 in the monrning.... do you think i have the probability to get an iPhone 4s:):):):):)

14. crunkcrumpet macrumors member

I'm sure someone started queuing yesterday....I'm getting into town for about 4:30-5, and I already have a phone with my name on it aha :eek:

15. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Silly question but why does everyone seem to be contract free in Europe, are cell phone plans that expensive or is it that you get tied to a 2-3 year contract?

I use AT&T in the US and it is way cheaper phone cost wise to get on a 2 year contract with them, then buy the phone for $750 unlocked and contract Free?

16. Certinfy macrumors 6502a

Certinfy

Can't speak for the rest of Europe but in the UK iPhone contracts are ridiculously expensive compared to EVERY other phone. As for many people buying it sim free here in the UK you can get great sim only deals and overall it mostly does work out a hell of a lot cheaper if you go down that route.