UK Buyers - only one week before the VAT increase.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by OllyW, Dec 28, 2010.

1. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

2. JonLa, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

JonLa macrumors 6502

Presumably if you order before the 4th you'll be okay even if it doesn't ship until after?

3. OllyW thread starter Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Yes you'll get it at the current rate as long as you get your order confirmation before the 4th.

4. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Bloody Tories.. This is why I've just spent about £300 on Amazon on a variety of things. We will have one of the highest rates in the EU (Bar Sweden, Finland etc.)

5. mrcrunchynut macrumors newbie

Oh no, where the hell am i going to find £20 to get a MacBook Pro? I'll have to stick to my windows :(

I'm not being funny btw, i know the VAT increase is a pain and it is good to know what the prices will be, but i would only be annoyed if was spending much much more.

I've seen news reports of peope flocking to get things before the VAT increase. I think to myself, 'But that £20 t-shirt i want will cost me 40p more in the new year.'

6. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

quote from the article: In the 2010 Emergency Budget the Chancellor announced an increase in the standard rate of VAT from 17.5 per cent to 20 per cent effective from 4 January 2011. The VAT change should only add a few pounds onto the price of Apple products, but Apple may also decide to take the opportunity to re-price goods in line with pricing around the world, reflecting exchange rate changes.

Has Apple UK actually repriced the ex Vat value after a VAT Rise in the past? What are the chances of a realignment of prices on Jan 4? Should I go for a Macbook air 11 now or take the risk?

7. OllyW thread starter Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

They reduced their prices when VAT dropped to 15% in December 2008 and increased them when it went back to 17.5% in January.

8. TheBigApple2006 macrumors regular

Shouldn't it be the other way, to compensate for increases/decreases in VAT? Also, I doubt Apple will price its goods as shown in the new Macworld chart. None of the new prices are "round" figures like the current ones...

9. OllyW thread starter Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

No, I'm right in saying Apple reduced their prices when the VAT rate dropped to 15% and increased them when it went back up to 17.5%.

Apple rounded the prices of their own products to the nearest pound on both previous VAT changes so it's safe to expect they'll do the same again on the 4th January.

10. JonLa macrumors 6502

An hour to go and my Air was in the basket.... then they took the store down, presumably to update the prices.

Bit annoying to waste 20 quid like that.. Should have bought sooner