UK: Buying MBP from John Lewis

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by simonb76, Jun 9, 2007.

1. simonb76 macrumors member

Hi,

Anyone from the UK purchased a MBP from the John Lewis stores? Has anyone had any good/bad experiences with them?

I'm seriously thinking about buying one tomorrow and my local John Lewis shop has some in stock (2.4/15"). I've noticed that they come with 2 years free warranty (which I believe they do an instance like-for-like swap if theres any issues).

Simon

2. bohrsatom macrumors member

Never purchased anything myself from JL but have heard several good things about them and their warranties. It's well worth buying from there (make sure you are getting the latest model) due to the extra year and you can always take it to the store when something goes wrong - a step up from buying online when sending back is the only issue.

3. yetanotherdave macrumors 68000

yetanotherdave

Just check it's the latest model and check their prices. I've seen them well overcharge for apple stuff before, and not be up to date with their stock.

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

5% cashback if you link to John Lewis through this site

5. simonb76 thread starter macrumors member

Well, I went into the local branch today and they were selling the 2.4Ghz 15" for the same price as Apple online. Plus with the 2 year warranty.. can't be bad?

6. bohrsatom macrumors member

No, that's great. More warranty than from Apple for the same price. I'd buy it!

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

Can't comment on buying a MBP from John Lewis, but I did buy an iMac from them. Great customer service (and didn't ask if I had thought about buying a PC instead as one store, who shall remain nameless, did) and very competitvely priced (£60 off the RRP and profit margins on the iMacs were v tight back then.)

Extending the warranty to three years isn't amazingly cheap, but you do save a few quid compared to the normal price of Applecare (although you can pick it up fairly reasonable on eBay). Think you've got until the free 2 year warranty expires to purchase the extra year.