(UK) Can i buy iPhone PAYG from Apple Store...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daneoni, Dec 12, 2008.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I wouldn't think you would have to activate the PAYG iPhone in store. The cost of the phone isn't subsidised and there's no contract to take out.

3. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Yes I think you can now, I know this is definitely true of the online store.

4. ShepUK macrumors member

You don't have to activate the PAYG iPhone when you buy it at an O2 store, so I'd be surprised if you had to at apple...

5. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I just got back from the store and surprise surprise you have to activate in store AND pay a £10 credit. Sigh...

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

That is a surprise.

It's not very good if you wanted to buy one as a Xmas present. :(

7. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

I think what happens there is you buy a iphone specific gift card and then the recipient has to go throw the whole process.

Good thing is you can buy online from the apple store without activation. I think AT&T just announced something similar. Bad thing is you have to wait for delivery

8. thechungster macrumors regular

I'll be going to the Apple Store tomorrow. I'll check if they actually sell it in person, instead of online only. If that is the case, just buy it from 02 or the carphone warehouse.

9. daneoni thread starter macrumors G4

daneoni

Apple brick stores will sell it to you as long as you activate in store and pay a £10 starter top up fee. O2/Carphonewarehouse will allow you take it home and activate as long as you allow them do a test fee on your account (to ensure you have a legit credit account) which they refund later on AND you also pay the £10 top up

Best bet is to buy it from the Apple store online as you can get the phone no questions asked.