UK - Can I tell if software has been purchased from the Edu Store?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by amammad, Aug 6, 2009.

1. amammad macrumors regular

I have some software purchased with edu discount that I can no longer return to Apple.

I KNOW it's not ethically correct but can I sell it on?

It's unopened and unregistered and looks like a retail version but are there any limitations for the new buyer if I sell it on?

2. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

I sold a copy of iLife that I had with edu discount but that doesn't need a serial number so I wouldn't like to say for sure. :-s

3. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Why's it not ethically correct? I can't imagine there's any way for the purchaser to find out it was bought with edu discount other than if he somehow got your puchase records from Apple

4. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

You're confusing ethically correct and legally correct.

Some things are legally correct but ethically wrong e.g. high pressure selling expensive junk to penniless old ladies.

Other things are legally wrong but ethically correct e.g. stealing food from the shop to feed your hungry baby child.

To the OP, some software will say if it is the edu version - check the "about ..." section in the top menu. I don't think Apple software does.

You have the right to sell on the software, but legally, you should only sell it to other people who also qualify for edu discount.

Ethically, if someone isn't a student, but they're pretty poor, can't afford the full price, and they want to learn the app, I'd say hell, sell it at the edu price to them.

5. amammad thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much for your input.

I've not installed the software (Final Cut Studio) so I can't check to see if it's listed as Edu version.

I've just read somewhere that Academic copies of the software aren't eligible for future software upgrades... is this the same as copies purchased from the Edu store?

And is this a physical limitation or an ethical/legal one!? Will it stop someone from upgrading if it's an edu copy?

Thanks

6. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

My copy of FCP (6.0) is clearly marked "Academic" in the "About" screen.

I was told that it's not upgradable, and have no reason to disbelieve it.

I'd say it's a certainty that whoever installs your copy of FCP will immediately know that it's an academic version.

7. amammad thread starter macrumors regular

And you bought yours from the UK Edu Store?

Hmmm... annoying because the box label says "FINAL CUT STUDIO RETAIL-INT" which sounds like the retail version to me.

8. Igantius macrumors 65816

If it’s an academic copy, the box should say something like ‘Academic version – not for resale.’ There should by a part number (I think it starts with M) by the barcode on the box – do a web search for that code and you should see straight away what type of version it is.

With regards to your question about upgrading, the license key won’t be (or at least they weren’t) compatible with the upgrade license key.

Can you remember what the discount was?

This is just going on memory, but recently (up till the new release of FCS), I don’t think there was much discount on FCS through the HE Store – certainly nothing like as much as there is now or previously. Because the pricing was so high through my HE Store, I thought perhaps that they had done away with a separate academic version – if they hadn’t it was economically much better sense to buy a full version and be able to upgrade, rather than get a marginally cheaper version that you can’t upgrade. My memory may be playing tricks, but if this might explain the product you have.

I’ve also checked the HE Store now and did a dummy order for FCS, selling for £250 – the part number is MB642Z/A. Just done a Web search and that part number is listed by resellers as a full retail version.

Don’t think you’ve anything to worry about!

9. nomad01 macrumors 68000

nomad01

Could it be based on the serial number though maybe?? :-s

10. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

Mine came from the computer store at the university (State University of New York, Buffalo) where I taught.

The box label:

MA891Z/A
    Final Cut Studio 2.0.1 Academic

There's a sticker on the box saying "Academic Not eligible for upgrades."

Seems to me that I bought it in mid 2008. Possibly Apple's changed its policies since then.

Or, we might be seeing a US/UK difference here.

Or both.

11. Igantius macrumors 65816

Although I guess that’s possible, if all the boxes have the same product code, I think it would be too impractical – also, Apple would be asking for trouble for taking this approach, which I think most would say is misleading

I had wondered whether Apple now thinks its better business sense letting people who bought through the HE Store to upgrade – as far as I’m aware, the only functional restriction on academic versions was that you couldn’t upgrade, which is reasonable enough, but there were drawbacks.

As an example, under the old system, I could get the software cheap as a student, but after finishing my course I decide to be a freelance video editor – legally, I shouldn’t be using an academic version for commercial purposes (as per the EULA), but instead, purchase the retail version at full whack. With the lack of an upgrade path, it would have been more cost-effective to buy the full retail version in the first place.

12. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I bought Apple Logic Studio from the UK HE store when I last tried Mac and it was the full retail version, not an 'Academic' version. I think in the UK, Apple are very good about that, however software like Adobe clearly states 'Academic'

When I received it, I even phoned Apple to question it and their response was 'We sell our retail software at discounted prices for the HE store customers'.

13. Igantius macrumors 65816

Ahh, so Apple has changed its policy about such things in the UK - thanks.