UK: Capello to become England manager

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by arkitect, Dec 13, 2007.

1. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Finally, someone worthy of the job. And what's more, it'll annoy Glenn Hoddle who's been barking on for ages about having an English manager despite no-one here being good enough... and annoying Glenn Hoddle is a good thing. :D

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I don't care too much about football, but I do like the idea of annoying Glenn Hoddle. There for, Capello FTW! :D

4. iBecks macrumors 6502

I'm sure he'll already be looking forward to his £2 million pounds pay off when he gets fired.

5. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

well he's got the record to go with the hype. And he's proven he's prepared to admit when he makes a mistake.

but after mclaren anyone is an improvement.

6. arkitect thread starter macrumors 601

arkitect

:D:D Well said.

7. iGav macrumors G3

What's not to like? :confused: ;)

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

The sort of man we want to manage our national side needs to be tactically astute, have a successful record of winning trophies, have experience of football beyond our national borders, and not be afraid of dropping players who aren't performing.

Capello ticks all these boxes and more besides, and I for one am delighted with this appointment.

9. Much Ado macrumors 68000

Much Ado

Me too. Something good, at least, has come out of the Euro Qualifying disaster now.

10. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

Agreed.

Unfortunately, any and all tactics will be criticized, it will be a witch hunt whenever he drops a non-performing player, and he will eventually get fired - by people without experience of football beyond your national borders.

But at least it is a step in the right direction to keep looking for "outsiders". Football is global, it is necessary to evolve.

11. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Not too fond of the man. Yeah, supposedly he has all the experience and is the best out there, but while here in Madrid, he really did a piss poor job IMO.
    His whole "results" are what matters really bothers me and I feel he's not about the joys of the game any more - all of which led to some of the worst games ever played by RM.
    BTW not a big Real fan, and you should hear what the super fans have to say about him.
    Either way, hopefully he can get control of/respect from the England team faster than he did with RM.

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I don't particularly like him or his stile, but you can't argue with his results.
    if he manages to bring trophies, NO ONE will care.

the 'beauty of the game' really matters (maybe) only if you are so consistently good that you win all the time anyways -possibly madrid's case, def not england's-, or if you are really poor and never stood the chance anyways.

but in every fan's heart winning>>>>>losing, no matter how.

the only question mark i see is if he can deliver at the national level what he brings at the club level.

13. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Indeed – I've heard it said that his pragmatic, Italian-style approach didn't endear him to the Madrid support, who favour a more attacking flair to their team. Still, the England side aren't exactly renowned for playing beautiful football so there should be no clash of styles. ;)

The latest situation is apparently that a deal has been arranged in principle and they're in the process of sorting out a few fine details. I believe that part of this involves the appointment of his backroom staff, hopefully Princess Shearer will be allowed nowhere near...

14. user13 macrumors regular

user13

As a non-english person, I'd extremely like an Englishman to become a coach. I hope the guys will show 'em all during the World cup

15. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Well, it's been confirmed – Capello will officially become England manager on Monday 7 January.

I saw on the news that the chap with the John Bull outfit who was protesting outside the FA headquarters when Sven was appointed has been back today to show his disapproval of the appointment of a foreign coach... :rolleyes:

16. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Come on Jaffa, keep up, I posted the news a whole 2 minutes before you :D

17. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

My reporting of the John Bull man clearly slowed down my posting. I like to give people as much detail as possible me, add a bit of flavour to the story, while you're obviously one to report the basic story as quickly as possible.

You're like the Sky 'breaking news' ticker, while I'm like Sophie Raworth. :p

18. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

He's the right man. It doesn't matter where he is from he is just the right man.

As for no one caring as long as the results are right, thats ********, or Jose would still be at Chelsea.

19. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

+1

Look what happened last time we choose and English Manager. Always choose on competence rather then birthplace. (would it be considered racial discrimination to only pick from the English contingent)

20. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Exactly. I really don't see the need for an English manager and never had. THe best man for the job should be first and foremost.

21. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

We can talk about Capello's credentials and experience all we like, but the best reason for his appointment hasn't yet been mentioned by anyone.

It's upset Paul Ince. :D

22. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Always an added bonus. ;)

23. scotthayes macrumors 68000

scotthayes

Bugger, how did you know I got it from Sky New ticker??? And I'd rather you were Kate Silverton than Sophie Raworth :D