Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Finally, someone worthy of the job. And what's more, it'll annoy Glenn Hoddle who's been barking on for ages about having an English manager despite no-one here being good enough... and annoying Glenn Hoddle is a good thing. :D

scotthayes

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2007
Planet Earth
well he's got the record to go with the hype. And he's proven he's prepared to admit when he makes a mistake.

but after mclaren anyone is an improvement.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
The sort of man we want to manage our national side needs to be tactically astute, have a successful record of winning trophies, have experience of football beyond our national borders, and not be afraid of dropping players who aren't performing.

Capello ticks all these boxes and more besides, and I for one am delighted with this appointment.

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
The sort of man we want to manage our national side needs to be tactically astute, have a successful record of winning trophies, have experience of football beyond our national borders, and not be afraid of dropping players who aren't performing.

Capello ticks all these boxes and more besides, and I for one am delighted with this appointment.

Me too. Something good, at least, has come out of the Euro Qualifying disaster now.

itickings

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2007

Agreed.

Unfortunately, any and all tactics will be criticized, it will be a witch hunt whenever he drops a non-performing player, and he will eventually get fired - by people without experience of football beyond your national borders.

But at least it is a step in the right direction to keep looking for "outsiders". Football is global, it is necessary to evolve.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Not too fond of the man. Yeah, supposedly he has all the experience and is the best out there, but while here in Madrid, he really did a piss poor job IMO.
His whole "results" are what matters really bothers me and I feel he's not about the joys of the game any more - all of which led to some of the worst games ever played by RM.
BTW not a big Real fan, and you should hear what the super fans have to say about him.
Either way, hopefully he can get control of/respect from the England team faster than he did with RM.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
I don't particularly like him or his stile, but you can't argue with his results.
if he manages to bring trophies, NO ONE will care.

the 'beauty of the game' really matters (maybe) only if you are so consistently good that you win all the time anyways -possibly madrid's case, def not england's-, or if you are really poor and never stood the chance anyways.

but in every fan's heart winning>>>>>losing, no matter how.

the only question mark i see is if he can deliver at the national level what he brings at the club level.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
Indeed – I've heard it said that his pragmatic, Italian-style approach didn't endear him to the Madrid support, who favour a more attacking flair to their team. Still, the England side aren't exactly renowned for playing beautiful football so there should be no clash of styles. ;)

The latest situation is apparently that a deal has been arranged in principle and they're in the process of sorting out a few fine details. I believe that part of this involves the appointment of his backroom staff, hopefully Princess Shearer will be allowed nowhere near...

user13

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2006
As a non-english person, I'd extremely like an Englishman to become a coach. I hope the guys will show 'em all during the World cup

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
Well, it's been confirmed – Capello will officially become England manager on Monday 7 January.

I saw on the news that the chap with the John Bull outfit who was protesting outside the FA headquarters when Sven was appointed has been back today to show his disapproval of the appointment of a foreign coach... :rolleyes:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
Come on Jaffa, keep up, I posted the news a whole 2 minutes before you :D
My reporting of the John Bull man clearly slowed down my posting. I like to give people as much detail as possible me, add a bit of flavour to the story, while you're obviously one to report the basic story as quickly as possible.

You're like the Sky 'breaking news' ticker, while I'm like Sophie Raworth. :p

Markleshark

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2006
Carlisle, Up Norf!
He's the right man. It doesn't matter where he is from he is just the right man.

As for no one caring as long as the results are right, thats ********, or Jose would still be at Chelsea.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
He's the right man. It doesn't matter where he is from he is just the right man.

+1

Look what happened last time we choose and English Manager. Always choose on competence rather then birthplace. (would it be considered racial discrimination to only pick from the English contingent)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.