[UK] Carphone Warehouse

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sheperinski, Nov 8, 2007.

1. sheperinski macrumors member

As much as I wanted to go & get it from an Apple Store, I've just found out that a Carphone Warehouse 5 minutes down the road from me will be well stocked up on iPhones tomorrow.

What, if any, are the implications of buying it from Carphone Warehouse? As far as I know, I'm still gonna be billed from o2 and the only time I'd ever have to be in touch with CPWH again is if I had to return the phone...

Am I right? Or should I stay loyal to Apple, go to one of their stores and just accept the longer drive home? This iPhone has really brought out the geek in me.

Cheers in advance guys :apple:

2. harrinp1 macrumors member

I'd like to buy from Apple but CPW is a lot closer. I just like the service you get with apple and being able to return stuff - if you buy from CPW and it develops a fault would you have to deal with them?

3. redgaz26 macrumors 68020

redgaz26

no if you have a fault you go to apple!!!!!!!!!

4. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

For a start, I have the choice of going to O2, Apple or CPW. I have chosen CPW purely because I need Lifeline insurance for the iPhone. AFAIK, You'll still be billed directly from O2 and if you have to return your iPhone, you can do it through the Genius Bar at any Apple Store or through Apple Online Support. I'm not sure if CPW take repairs in.

5. harrinp1 macrumors member

I haven't looked at insurance yet - what is the CPW deal?

6. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

7. ne0star macrumors regular

I'm simply going with what will allow me to get one quickly and easily which is a local carphone warehouse

8. memesmith macrumors regular

Interesting, but... as you won't be buying your contract through CPW, will you actually get access to the lifeline policies? The handset only policies are not so comprehensive...

9. applemax macrumors 65816

applemax

Well I guess we're stuck with O2 Insure or AppleCare!

10. iCol macrumors newbie

Just add it to your home insurance. Much cheaper!

11. moel macrumors 6502

Or stop being a cheapskate and upgrade your bank account to give you lots of free stuff for a few quid a month.

12. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

just popped into cpw and they say they are going to do a credit check b4 you can buy handset crazy if you don't do it and take the phone home and fail the 02 credit check they won't give you your money back!!!

and they say they only have 50 handset!!
    think i'll go to the 02 shop!!

13. ascender macrumors 68020

The credit check is done online through iTunes and you'll be subject to it no matter where you buy the iPhone itself.

And its also been stated that you have 14 days to return the handset for a full refund assuming its still boxed.

14. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

They really can't say that. If they do set trading standards onto them.

http://www.retra.co.uk/consumer_info.asp?p=12

It's really not hard to prove that a phone that you can't make or receive calls on (because the retailer has refused to sell you the ability to do so) is unfit and due a refund.

I'm sure Apple stores will take back iphones from people who can't get contracts.. their service is usually quite good. I won't set foot in a CPW after some of the things I've heard about them.

15. fastbite macrumors 6502a

fastbite

I also have the option of two very close shops, either Carphone W or 02 -- I guess I'll pop round there at around 5 and see what the queues, if any, are like. If everything fails I'll run to Brent Cross Apple Store.
    Does anyone knows until what time those store will be open?

16. roblawton macrumors 6502

RE: Lifeline Insurance

It's only available when you buy the iPhone in CPW (other stores have other insurance)

All the cover on regular policies apply, and costs -

£35.95/Quarter for the Lite option
    £40.95/Quarter for the Complete option

17. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

i know i told him that but he was having none of it i think half the time they make it up as they go along!!