[UK] Convinced her to cancel TV!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Fed, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Fed macrumors 6502

Having been in a battle for months, if not years, over our television subscription (first Sky and now Virgin for the past month), I have convinced her (the Mrs) to cancel! She finally agreed yesterday, after I bought an Apple TV and effectively gave her a POC of all of our ripped media. My bill has now been halved overnight... fantastic! :D

With the Apple TV, we can now view ripped media and youtube. Can anyone offer some cost effective ways to view BBC iPlayer, 4oD and the like? It may be a limitation of my i7 (two cores) or Virgin's standard 'Super Hub', but there is a lot of lag when using AirPlay so that's ruled out.

Also, as we're in a Virgin cable area, there is no aerial on the roof of the house. So now that we've cancelled the TV, can anyone offer some ways to view terrestrial television? I'm guessing a decent standalone aerial is the only option?

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

3. Fed, Oct 29, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2012

Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

More expensive than I would have liked it to be. This may be the time to buy one of the new Mac Minis then (for this and a few other tasks). Is there a way to stream terrestrial (or FreeView channels) directly to a Mac?

4. YanniDepp macrumors 6502

YanniDepp

There is CatchupTV, but to be honest, watching iPlayer and 4OD on an iPad is probably the best way to go.

Watching live TV (even streaming online) requires a TV license (because you're watching it as it's being broadcast). Watching catch-up TV doesn't require a TV license.

When I moved home in May, I cancelled my virgin TV service. Now I just watch Netflix on an Apple TV and iPlayer on the iPad. It actually saved me £7 a month for the TV service, and £12 a month for the TV license. By not having a TV service or a TV license, I'm saving £230 a year. And I can watch video any time I want - without adverts.

5. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

You can view the channels streamed through tvcatchup, which despite the name is a live TV site. Although quality isn't great and you have to watch an advert or 2 before it starts streaming to your first channel.

http://tvcatchup.com

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It would have probably been cheaper to stop with Virgin on a basic channels package with a TIVO box. ;)

You can get a TV tuner for your Mac, the one's from Elgato are compatible but I'm not sure if you can AirPlay live TV to your Apple TV.

7. Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

Never heard of that website before. Is that legal and legitimate?

----------

I used the TIVO box for two weeks and found it utterly dreadful in comparison to Sky+. I honestly didn't mind paying for Sky+ as it wasn't a bad UI and was very responsive. Whereas Virgin was the total opposite.

I still have my Sky+ box, I wonder if I can do something with that? Hm.

8. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Wow, I should have you talk to my wife. I would love to get rid of Sky but she won't hear of it. Our last bill (TV + internet + telephone) was around £120. If it were up to me I'd just keep the internet and lose the other two! My Apple TV is all I ever watch anyway when I'm by myself.

9. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

You should still be able to get quite a few channels without subscription.

10. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

BBC iPlayer, ITV player, Demand5 have all been added to the Sky HD boxes (via internet connection). 4OD is being added next year.

if it's easy catchup you wanted, you should have probably stayed with Sky :D

----------

no recording functions though unless you pay £10 a month.

11. Fed thread starter macrumors 6502

Would I be required to inform Sky in order to use it or get it to work? If I don't need to, then perhaps plugging in the Sky box and giving it internet access and then buying an aerial and plugging directly into TV for live terrestrial channels may be the answer!

All the answers given so far are much appreciated :)

12. chenks macrumors 6502a

chenks

you would need a current Sky HD box, and you would need to activate Sky+ services (at £10 a month).

it is not available to non-subscribers.

13. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

tvcatchup has been running for several years. I think it would have been closed down by now if it wasn't legitimate.