UK Dataserv trade in users

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by studio81, Oct 5, 2014.

1. studio81 macrumors member

Has anyone used the Apple Reuse & Recycling programme?

I got a quote of £300 for my iPhone 5S, sent it to them on the 22nd of September, it was signed for on the 23rd of September and I've heard nothing since. My reference number doesn't work on their website. I've sent emails to every email address I can find for them and used their contact form. I've called twice but they don't have access to anything and promise someone will call be back, guess what, no one does.

They've got £300 of my property and don't even have the courtesy to acknowledge receipt, let alone make any sort of suggestion they might actually give me my money.

Has anyone had any dealings with them? Do they ever reply? Do they ever pay out? I'm sure things are busy with the new iPhone release but it's getting a bit much now.

Thanks if you can help.

2. iMarty macrumors newbie

Surprised you haven't had a reply to this yet.

I got a quote for my iPhone 5 (64GB, Unlocked, Black) on launch day of the iPhone 6 for £220. Given that it was £55 more than the nearest competition, I decided to go for it.

I sent it away on Monday 22nd September. They seem quite strict about honouring the quote unless it's received within 5 days. The pre-paid shipping label is a 48 hour Royal Mail delivery service, so when it came to Thursday and the status wasn't updated, I did some digging online for a number to call.

At that point, I wished I had done this before I sent my phone away. Not a single positive review regarding Dataserv. Only negative.

Anyways... I found a number to call (00800 8765 00 02) and spoke to somebody. I was advised that the process is: items are sent to a central UK location, where they are then sent on to Germany for assessment/testing. I asked the guy I spoke to if he could at least confirm if my phone made it to the UK location. He took my number but never called me back.

It wasn't until last Saturday (4th October) that I received communication via email that my phone had been received and that they were ready to take my bank details. I went on to the site and did this, and the status has been sitting at "Awaiting credit note" since. No indication whether or not my phone had been tested or met the grade regarding the original quote as of yet.

From what I've read of the few reviews I could find online, they can be a bit sneaky regarding their assessments. The iPhone 5 I sent them was in immaculate condition, so I'll be extremely surprised if I get offered below the quote I was given.

Even though I've not completed the process yet, I'd advise people NOT to use this service. The communication is horrible. I can't even believe that they are partnered with Apple.

3. studio81 thread starter macrumors member

Cheers iMarty, yup I'm in the same boat. They finally replied to my email asking me for my bank details but nothing since then. Promised many returned phone calls but so far, nothing. My iPhone was also in excellent condition so if they reduce the amount I'll be furious. My quote number still doesn't work on their website either.

I knew I should have used Mazuma, I've used them in the past and they pay straight away. I just thought I'd go for the extra £50. Serves me right.

4. iMarty macrumors newbie

One and the same. I've used Mazuma previously and had the money in my bank within a few days.

I see the conditions I described my iPhone 5 as being is now down to £160 from £220 from Datserv. Mazuma are still offering £165. That'd be a kick in the teeth if they try the kind of crap that the reviews I've read lead me to believe they might. I remain hopeful though.