[UK] Delivery question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevearm, Sep 22, 2009.

1. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

Anyone here have any experience of ordering a customised Macbook Pro online and having it shipped from China?

It's now two weeks since I ordered it and I'm hoping to get it soon.

My shipment status says the estimated delivery is today. Although it's now 6pm so I doubt that it will be.

A few hours ago the status changed to: "Delivery scheduled by final carrier, see estimated delivery date" and I was finally given a Carrier Tracking Number, although the 'assigned carrier' still says: UK DISTRIBUTION CENTER

Any guesses when I can expect my macbook? Are we talking tomorrow, the day after?

I can't seem to enter my tracking number into any site to find out more details. I've tried all the TNT sites.

Thanks for any tips

2. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

I ordered my Macbook Pro on the 8th of September, and got it on the 17th.

Now, the estimated delivery date was originally the 22nd so it did arrive a little earlier. So the Apple estimated date needs to be take with a grain of salt.

The More accurate one is going to be the one from the final carrier, but that only updates once they get their hands on it. So i'm going to guess that you should hopefully have it in a couple of days.

3. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Sorry to jump on this thread but if I order a standard config Macbook Pro, how long should it take to deliver (within the UK)? The website says it ships within 24 hours but is that accurate?

4. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

It may ship within 24hrs, but that could be from Ireland or China, and Apple doesn't specify.

If its coming from Ireland, you should probably have it in 5-6 days, but its not possible to know in advance.

If you're planning to get a standard config, and not going for a special discount such as the HE/ NUS discount it may make more sense to pick up one from a nearby Apple Store.

5. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Thanks for the info. I was buying it with the HE discount. The apple store told me I could get the discount in store but couldn't have the 3 years parts & labour warranty that comes with it if I bought it in store. Anyway, I ordered it Friday, it was shipped on Friday and the expected delivery date is Monday :D can't wait.

6. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

Glad you're getting it so fast.

I ordered through the He site as well, but as I had done some custom configuration, it took a while to ship.

Also, if I remeber correctly, while the Apple store can give a 5% student discount, the maximum discounts (Upto 15%) are only available through the special HE sites. I saved a couple of hundred pounds more, going through the Site, so I was willing to bear with the longer wait (But with bad Grace :))

If your going to be ordering software for it, you might want to check Amazon and Software4Students as they have some good deals. I got VMware Fusions for £35 from Amazon with free delivery from Amazon, for which Apple charges £50, and has a longer lead time.

Similarly if you are planning to get Office 2008, Software4Students has it for £36 which is a supercheap price for a legal copy.

7. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

Wow, didn't realise the Apple Store only had a 5% discount. I saved £127 buying it online. I even tried ordering it over the phone and that was £26 more than online.

I will definately have a look at Software4Students. I also work part time for my uni so can get Office 2008 for £16 which is good, but will be looking for Adobe CS4, etc.

8. Bbusyb macrumors member

Bbusyb

Well, I Only asked an apple store over the phone, and the price I was quoted was 5% lower. The Store I went into in person was a Premium resellers (as there is no Official Apple store in My town), and the printed pricelist he gave me was a standard Apple list with 5% off.

I Ordered through the NUS Extra HE Discount site, which gave the higher discount. The Biggest additional saving was on Applecare, as I wanted the extended worldwide coverage as I travel internationally quiet often and want service if needed. The Difference between the £186 that was in store to the £46 I paid through the site was at least a third of the savings.

Software4Students is good, and is worth checking out. I'm going to see what the price of Windows 7 Licences is going to be when it becomes available, as While I've pre ordered a couple of licences, I'm probably going to need an additional one or two .